Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2001, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 28 Jul 2001 22:35:46 -0700
From:         David Marshall <vanagon@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG>
Subject:      Re: Considering I4 swap:  1.8 89 Golf vs. 1.8 VW Fox (90?)
Comments: To: "M.R. Nimmo" <mrnimmo@YAHOO.COM>

There are quite a few difference between the Fox and Golf motors.

The Fox is a CIS based system that will give you about 85hp due to it's 8.5:1 compression ratio. The Golf is a Digifant II based system that will give you 102 or 105hp (depends on if you have a single or dual outlet manifold) and it has 10:1 compression ratio. The Golf motor is the better solution. The Digifant II F.I. is a no brainer to connect (plug in the two fuel lines - just like the van) where the CIS system is a little more complicated as you have to worry about where you are going to mount the air box / fuel meter - also the CIS system runs at a higher system pressure that *some* Vanagon fuel pumps don't like (1 in 5 is the norm). The carb system will be more money than a complete Digifant II system. Usually we sell *complete*, tested and overhauled (not rebuilt in a machine shop - just fresh seals, o-rings, ignition system if necessary etc) 1.8L Digifant II motor with FI / Wiring Harness - with mods / ECU / water pipes for our conversion or a Diesel conversion for $1500 CAD / $1000 USD Honestly you can get them cheaper than this if you shop around and are willing to do some work yourself.

Your mechanic is nuts if he is recommending to go to a carburetor system. The VW Digifant II system is *really* simple to install - the wiring harness takes me about 3h to modify and test and would cost you $170 USD to get me to do it for you. You don't have to mess around with new fuel lines or changing any of the existing pollution control stuff as it will [if you like, you don't have to] interface to the existing stuff with no problems. You would get a self sustaining "plug and play" harness that would contain the fuel pump relay and the ECU/O2 sensor relay and would terminate in the following wires:

- 12V Constant - 12V Key On - 12V Starter On - Ground - Coolant Gauge - 0.3 Oil Pressure - 1.8 Oil Pressure

Optionally we can do things like a tachometer and oil temp gauge if you motor / Vanagon is equipped to do this. All wires are correctly terminated so they would plug right in with no mods to the Vanagon harness.

You should look into getting a A1 Series (Rabbit / Scirocco etc) intake manifold for the Diesel conversion kit as it will not interfere with the side wall - it is also recommended for our kit as the A2 intake manifold (85 - 92 Golf / Jetta) is about 1" taller than the A1 manifold.

David Marshall

Fast Forward Automotive Inc. 4356 Quesnel Hixon Road Quesnel BC Canada V2J 6Z3 mailto:info@fastforward.ca <mailto:info@fastforward.ca> http://www.fastforward.ca <http://www.fastforward.ca> Phone: (250) 992 7775 FAX: (250) 992 1160

. Vanagon Accessories and Engine Conversions . Transporter, Unimog and Iltis Sales . European Lighting for most Audi and Volkswagen models

Haven't sold my 84 Vanagon, and really don't want to. I'm playing around with the idea of selling my other ride (the reliable Toyota van-- I must be nuts) and finishing the restoration of my vanagon. I do love my vanagon.

Found a rusty diesel vanagon complete that can be had for a nice price, but still considering buying the conversion kit from Fastforward. Found two 1.8's, a Golf 88 or 89 and a VW Fox, same vintage I believe. My mechanic really, Really, REALLY doesn't want to switch over the FI, and wants to bolt on a Weber 32/36 or the Solex 34/5 kit (shows rabbit, golf, but not "crossflow" head, whatever that is) assuming they fit. (It will be cheaper than the ECU for the 1.8's anyway, right?) The mechanics cheap and I trust him with my life or wife, but FI is not his thing. And there's no other option anyway.

Please don't lecture me on "Mother Earth" and I know FI will give better driveability, mileage, and power. I'm looking for cheap and reliable. As for Mother Earth, I give at the office by keeping these old heaps for a longgggggggg time. My 3 cars are all over 150k miles.

Any thoughts on this conversion? Those 1.8's bolt up ok to the diesel/Fastforward kit? Proper oil pan? Will the carbs bolt up to that head? (I know I will have to modify the engine cover.)