Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 4 Aug 2001 12:20:11 -0400
From:         The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>
Subject:      Re: ECU Rebuilds

> There must be a lot of perfectly good used ECU's lying around. > After all, it doesn't seem to be an item that goes out too frequently, > does it? At least I don't hear a lot of talk on the list about them being > a chronic problem.

No, they rarely fail. In fact, I'd say that a good 20% of the time someone orders one, it's the result of misdiagnosis on the part of the owner or his mechanic, and he ends up buying an expensive part that he doesn't need. (Which is a problem, since installed electrical items are not returnable). People buying parts they don't need because of misdiagnosis happens all the time, but it seems to happen more with ECU's and air flow meters than with many other parts. I have seen many cases where less-than-experienced mechanics (many of them "professionals") have been quick to damn the ECU when they couldn't figure out a fuel injection problem, rather than considering that the real culprit is their own failure to properly troubleshoot the problem. So, I strongly advise very careful troubleshooting before going out and buying a new ECU. If you are not completely confident of your or your mechanic's troubleshooting abilities and experience with VW fuel injection, get a second opinion, given that actual ECU failures are in fact quite rare. Otherwise, prepare yourself for the possibility of a sinking feeling when you pop in that new ECU that you just paid a lot of money for, only to discover that the van is behaving the exact same way as it was before you replaced it...

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. (215) 234-VWVW www.busdepot.com

_____________________________________________ Toll-Free for Orders Only: 1-866-BUS-DEPOT