Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 1 Aug 2001 20:46:29 -0700
From:         Bruce Grove <bruce@BRUCEGROVE.CO.UK>
Subject:      Re: 009 Distributor in Type IV
Comments: To: wilden1@JUNO.COM

Stan wrote: > I recently found a 009 Didtributor in a wrecking yard. It looks to be in > good working order with a tight shaft and minimal vertical slack. > I'm currently running a stock vacume distributor on my 2000cc Type IV. > Is there any advantage to using the 009 distributor in a Type IV ? >

Hmm, was the 009 ever a recommended fit for a Type IV engine? Either way I'd suggest if there's nothing wrong with your current dizzy you should leave as is. The 009 works on a centrifugal basis and as a result you could actually find it doesn't perform as well if you have a stock engine. You may find you lose a bit at the bottom end because the 009 needs to wind up a bit, i.e. the reason you have a vacuum advance on the standard one is to help this problem.

009's are best left as either performance parts for higher revving or as a replacement when you can't find a vacuum advance original.

HTH, Bruce