Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 2 Aug 2001 20:02:50 +1200
From:         Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>
Subject:      Re: Not Vanagon, a virus warning.

>I recently got a virus from either the type2 list or the vanagon list. >It came as an attachment to an E-mail and I'm not sure if it attached >itself to outgoing mail or not. >The virus name is w32/SirCam.gen@MM, it came to me on July 23, 2001 ay >10:39 AM. >The file size is 137,216. >It corrupts or creates a file in the Windows/system or Windows/system32 >directory. >The file to look for is SCam32.exe >You should run your virus program if you've gotten pmail from me. >If you find this file is infected you can get a stand alone fix from >McAfee named scrmove2.zip that effectively removes the virus.

Several times every week I'm getting the Sircam virus sent to me by various addresses I've never seen; apparently all are originating from one location. My server strips viruses automatically and notifies both me and sender.

Message I get from my server each time are similar to this:

Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 05:08:35 +1200 From: root <root@mailhub1.otago.ac.nz> To: andrew.grebneff@stonebow.otago.ac.nz Subject: BLOCKED DELIVERY OF EMAIL FROM oskarsdo@ecn.purdue.edu

BLOCKED DELIVERY OF EMAIL FROM oskarsdo@ecn.purdue.edu

Our email scanner has detected a VIRUS in an email destined for you. This email has been stopped. The sender will receive a notification of this message.

The virus scanner revealed... >>> Virus 'W32/Sircam-A' found in file >>>/apps/inflex/tmp/inflex12868/unpacked/JOB01.DOC.bat

End. ----------------------------- I asked where these viruses are being sent from and this was the reply: -----------------------------

Hi Andrew,

The virus is coming from mintunz@cdsnet.net but us being blocked at the university mail hub. From the email address I am unable to tell you the name of the person that sent the email to you but can tell you it came rom http://www.cdsnet.net/ which runs a webmail system simular to hotmail etc.

Regards, Emerson.....

========================================================================= ITS HelpDesk Information Technology Services University of Otago Phone: (03) 479-8888 or 0800 479-888 P.O. Box 56 Fax: (03) 479-8577 Dunedin, E-Mail: helpdesk@otago.ac.nz New Zealand web page: www.otago.ac.nz/helpdesk

** Please address all correspondence to this address, not the signatory **