Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 2 Aug 2001 21:35:55 -0700
From:         Chris Smith <chris.smith@AQUILA.NET>
Subject:      Re: Header exhaust system for 82 van
Comments: To: Greg Marshall <earthboy@HOME.COM>

At 01:30 PM 8/2/01 -0400, Greg Marshall wrote: >Hey folks, > >I'd like to put a header exhaust system on my air cooled bus, but keep >the heater boxes. Does anyone make a system that bolts on after the >heater boxes? Is this something I would need a custom exhaust guy to >do, or does someone make a bolt on? I've searched around on the net, >but all I can seem to find is systems for water cooled vans. I would >expect to lose the cat using a set up like this, but would like to keeep >the O2 sensor. Could I just drill a hole somewhere in the header system >and fix the sensor in place?

Greg and list, There are 2 sources I'm aware of. Rocky Mountain Motor Works has a couple and JC Whimpy sells a simple tube style muffler. I've used the Whipy version for a couple of years and it worked just fine. You'll never pass a smog inspection but they work alright. Sure is cheaper than an original system. As far as an extractor set-up, you'll need to visit a speed shop. I've seen a few, but they were all custom jobs, plus they can cause some serious head melting.

Chris Smith Head Slave