Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 1 Aug 2001 11:10:36 -0400
From:         Michael Townsend <townsend@RTP.ERICSSON.SE>
Subject:      Re: Booster Seats Options
Comments: To: Hector Zapata <hector.zapata@XRXGSN.COM>

We also have an Alpha Omega, in our Passat TDI, and we love it. It is a brilliant design allowing ease of adjustment to the 5-point shoulder strap height. However, there is only about 14 inches between the seat pan and the top shoulder slots. Our 2.5 year old son, while only 36.5 inches tall and 34 pounds still meets the weight and height specifications for use with the 5-point harness. However, he has relatively short legs and a tall torso, which means that even now the shoulder straps come out of the slot slightly lower than his shoulders. Technically, that is a no-no, and we should configure the Alpha-Omega into the booster for a larger child by removing the seat base and 5-point harness and using the vehicle 3-point belt. However, he is too young and immature to use only the vehicle belt in out opinion. He wouldn't always keep it tight, properly positioned, and he might actually remove it without us knowing about it. It also wouldn't prevent him from getting thrown sideways in a side impact. We believe a 5-point is much safer, but we don't want to exceed the weight limit of it. We'd hate to purchase another booster that would give him the extra height but only 6 more pounds before we have to abandon the 5-point harness. There is a gap in available products for those that want to continue to use the 5-point between the 40 pound and 80 pound range. That's what started me on all this research to begin with.

Notice the newer standards on childseat usage:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/injury/childps/index.cfm

We have finally caught up with Europe in requiring infants to stay rear-facing for a whole year or 20-22 pounds. For the 40 to 80 pound range, we require the belt positioning booster to be used, but if you don't have shoulder belts you are SOL. And, there are cased such as mine where I prefer 5-points anyway. Europe and Canada have required top tether straps forever, and we just get them in September 1999. VW's have had the ISOFIT latch system for a few years, yet it is still not a standard in the US. I believe that they also require boosters until 1.5m high, or 4' 9".

Thanks, Michael Townsend

---------- > From: Hector Zapata <hector.zapata@XRXGSN.COM> > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Re: Booster Seats Options > Date: Tuesday, July 31, 2001 7:21 PM > > I have a Alpha-Omega, from newborn up to 90 lbs booster. Chec it at WalMart > and Toys'R'Us. >