Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 3 Aug 2001 10:45:13 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: insane AC idea
Comments: To: Wade Shen <swade@UMIACS.UMD.EDU>

At 10:33 AM 8/3/2001, Wade Shen wrote: >PS, there's a company called dongfar that makes a 12v 1300btu AC >system. They claim something like 300 watts of power usage. This may be >more doable, but I haven't ground through the math.

Usage notes from the Dongfar A/C manual:

USES

Our portable 12V/24V air-con is very useful for camping tent. In fact it can be used for any small rooms. One of the practical functions for our air-con is in interstate truck's sleeper cabin.

If the unit is to be used for more than 6 ft x 4 ft x 6 ft space, our DcAircon will not be able to bring down the room temperature to 23 to 25 degrees Celsius. It will be higher than 23 to 25 degrees Celsius. However one will still feel comfortable in the room as the humidity is lower than the ambient air. Our air-con is not meant for rooms bigger than 6 ft x 4 ft x 6 ft if the purpose is to bring down the room temperature. However it can function as an equipment or device to lower the air humidity in the room.

Our DcAircon's cooling capacity is only about 1020 Btu (300 watts). For calculation purpose, a person needs about 7.5 Btu per cu ft of space. While asleep a person generates about 340 Btu (100 watts) of heat load.

Cars have too many windows that allow direct sunlight to pass through. DcAircon cannot be used in a car during the day, however it can be suitable during the night. Unless the car's windows are all screened away from the sun, our DcAircon cannot be used in a car with a lot of windows during the day. Our DcAircon has only 300 watts (1020Btu) cooling capacity. The sunlight that passes through your car windows are too much for our DcAircon to handle. A typical car's air-con has a cooling capacity of about 30,000 Btu (or 8500 watts). This is enough to cool down 5 typical rooms. The off-coil air temperature of car air-con is about 7 degrees Celsius, while our DcAircon is around 20 degrees Celsius. The sun has a typical intensity of 1000 watts per square meter. So our DcAircon is not even enough to "neutralize" the heat of the sun.

David Beierl - Providence, RI http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ '84 Westy "Dutiful Passage" '85 GL "Poor Relation"