Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 3 Aug 2001 09:39:24 -0700
From:         The River Clan <staff@EARTHNOW.ORG>
Subject:      Re: Safe way to clean Westy water tank?

Wow! That's more info than I can fathom!! Are you a chemist? = )

What about using Food Grade Hydrogen Peroxide?

At 11:09 AM 7/28/2001 -0400, you wrote: >> My water tank is pretty slimy (haven't used in >> awhile) and I'm looking for something to clean >> it with that won't poison me after I refill it. >> Any suggestions? > >Actually there is no safe way to do this. If you do not feel comfortable >doing this, then do not. > >For this type of disinfection, maintaining the chlorine level at 1000 ppm >for 20-30 minutes will kill everything in the tank, sterilizing it. To get >to this level with our 10 gallon tank and using household bleach >(5.25%)which is 52500 ppm, you need to add approximately 24.5 oz of bleach, >about 3 cups, to the tank and fill the tank. > >{Conc of bleach * oz of bleach} + {conc of bleach in fresh water * (oz of >fresh water - oz of bleach)} = {Final conc * total volume} > >{52500 ppmCL * (X oz)} + {0 ppm CL * (1280 oz - X oz)} = {1000 ppm CL >* 1280 oz} > >Solve for X which is oz of bleach. In this case 24.38 oz of bleach > >We run some of this solution through the pump to sterilize the pump and >piping to the sink, a minute or so. Then we drive around for the 20 to 30 >minutes. The contact time of the chlorine mixture with all surfaces is >CRITICAL. Do not skimp on this time! It is equally important to flush the >entire system with a large quantity of known clean water, as chlorine is >corrosive and if left in the tank or pump will do damage at these high >concentrations. Do not forget to flush the pump and the piping to the sink. > >After many of these treatments you may damage the pump, I do not know if the >pump materials are chlorine resistant. But it is cheap as compared to a >ruined trip and a trip to the hospital. > >If you have a lot of green growies, flush them out as best you can. >Chlorine when combined with organic material can make trihalomethanes, which >are known carcinogens. If you can not flush these out, do not worry. >Remember you are not going to drink this stuff. This is just to kill >everything in the tank. You are going to flush the bejeezus out of the tank >with clean water. > > >Be careful of your eyes and clothing and upholstery when adding the bleach >to the tank. I remove the top of the tank from inside the van to add the >bleach. > > > > > >BTW 1mg/l is 1 ppm, so 1000 mg/l is 1000 ppm > > >This is some info on chlorine for disinfecion: > >Reactivity of Chlorine Compounds > >Chlorine was first discovered to be a disinfectant in 1787 and has been >universally accepted and utilized ever since. The reactivity of chlorine has >been well studied and general guide lines for its use are as follows: > >Inorganics: Chlorine, used by itself, requires a concentration of 6 mg/L per >1.0 mg/L of inorganic at a pH of 8.5 -9.0. If used in conjunction with >permanganate this ratio will drop to below 1.0 mg/L per 1.0 mg/L of >inorganic but will require tight instrumentation controls. > >Pathogens: At a pH of 4-5, chlorine is effective as a disinfectant when used >at a ratio of 1-3 mg/L per 0.5 mg/L pathogen and requires a residence time >of 45 - 60 minutes (12 time that for Ozone). > >Pathogens: A 500 mg/L chlorine concentration will normally be effective >against vegetative bacteria. At this concentration, chlorine has limited >effect against viruses and is poorly effective against bacterial spores and >fungi (adverse effects on body chemistry/metabolism). > >Pathogens: a 1000 mg/L chlorine concentration is effective against all >bacteria, viruses and fungi yet requires 25-30 minute residence time >(adverse effects on body chemistry/metabolism). > >Organics: practical applications of chlorine, even at 1000 mg/L have little >effect on oxidizing organic material other than generating chlorinated >organics, hence chlorine is not recommended for this use. > >Residual: A chlorine residual can be provided only after the demand for >chlorine by inorganic, bacteria and organics has been met. > >Chlorine can be effective for oxidizing inorganics and bacteria when pH, >concentration and residence time are allowed for, but the chlorinated >organic by-products are inevitable and only some may be filtered out. For >agriculture applications, the important consideration for utilizing chlorine >compounds is the amount of chlorides that will end up being consumed by an >animal, the impact of the chlorinated organics on the animals' performance >and toxic residues absorbed into the tissues of the animal.. If excess >chlorides are produced, necessary steps should be taken to remove them as a >last step in a water treatment program.