Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 3 Aug 2001 21:39:24 +0000
From:         Mike Finkbiner <mike_l_f@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: And speaking of tires...

Daniel -

I'm running 195R/14 Kumho 852s on factory steel wheels on my '87 Westy and am quite satisfied. My speedometer is right on. They get a little squirrely if I don't keep them up to 48 psi or so on the rear, but with proper pressures track smoothly, and are not very noisy.

From: Daniel Schmitz <djs@GENE.COM>

...I emailed the area Sales Rep for California about the local availability of Kumho 852 Commercial A/S tires in the San Francisco area. This tire is a Load Range "D" 8-ply reinforced sidewall model that is available in 185/195/205R14 sizes. It ***seems*** to be a good candidate for the Vanagon.

These are a light truck tire, load rating about 103. Good stiff sidewalls. I suspect the term "Reinforced Sidewall" only applies to passenger tires which are constructed to handle higher pressures and thus a heavier load. We use the term a lot, but I haven't seen a tire industry definition.

<SNIP>

But the strange thing is that the Kumho rep says Kumho Tire cannot recommend this tire for the Vanagon application, even though it will fit the rim and meets the load requirements.

<SNIP>

Sounds strange to me, too. They are certainly heavy duty enough. You might check what the diameter of the 195 is to see if it would work better with your speedometer. It does for mine.

I don't know how good these would be in the snow. I switch to four snow tires in the fall.

Mike Finkbiner '87 Westy Moscow, Idaho