Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 3 Aug 2001 21:53:17 -0500
From:         Roy Olynick <rrh@AUTOBAHN.MB.CA>
Subject:      Homemade Sliding Door Bug Screen

I finally got around to a mod which I should have done fourteen years ago....a sliding door bug screen. Basing my design on Phaedra's home-made sliding door bug screen, I purchased a length of No-See-Um netting (55 inches wide) at a local fabric shop. I then sewed, well, okay, okay, my wife sewed a length of metal pull chain into a hem at the bottom for weight since the netting weighs practically nothing. She also sewed a hem across the top of the netting. Through this hem, I inserted a length of spline. For those who don't know, a spline is a length of soft, resilient beading or cord that is most commonly used to keep household screening in aluminium screen or sliding patio doors. It is pushed into a channel that runs around the perimeter of the door opening to keep the screening material taut and firmly attached to the door. It can also be removed easily and reused if the screen needs to be replaced. Anyway, I wanted a quick and easy way to attach the netting without attaching the screen to the stock curtain or using metal dome fasteners and such which require drilling into the door pillars, etc. This spline presses easily into the track that is normally used by the sliding door curtain. It holds the netting quite firmly, allowing one to enter and exit the van without worry of the netting coming down. Any gaps on either side of the netting are easily filled by pulling the netting close to the side of the door frame and utilising three strategically placed clothes pins. I oversized the length of the spline to allow for it to be pinned with clothes pins to the drip rail.

As stated above, the weight of the chain sewn into the bottom hem of the netting keeps the netting from moving in the breeze. Based upon Phaedra's suggestion for length, I hung the netting such that it hangs about an inch or two below the floor of the van but not too low where it might catch a breeze blowing under the vehicle. I tested it over the past four days in Black Lake (Nopiming Provincial Park) here in Manitoba, mosquito capitol of Canada, (maybe the world). It passed with flying colours. Nary a mosquito or black fly got in. Having the sliding door open all day with the netting barrier was such a joy! Entering the van for the multitude of little things a vanagonite forgets to bring into the dining tent was a pleasure and the continuous opening and slamming of the sliding door was non-existent! Also, the van was cooler, the beer was tastier, the sunsets more romantic...maybe I'm stretching things a bit, especially with the last two. ;>)

Cost: about $12 CND (more or less)

Thanks to Phaedra for passing along her original design, thus providing the impetus for me to finally get the thing done!

Roy Olynick '87 Westfalia GL (till death do us part) '91 Honda Civic SE '01 Honda Civic LX