Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 3 Aug 2001 21:13:18 -0500
From:         Anthony Bailey <abailey@MAC.COM>
Subject:      Vanagon prices

Hello All, I looked at a Vanagon tonight (southeast missouri, not exactly the vw hotspot of the world, nor anywhere close to it) and just got off the phone with the owner, he wasn't there where the van was at, its at a repair shop and the mechanic "don't do no watercooled vehicles" (his words more or less).

Anyhow, its an '85 7 passenger with (according to the owner) a good engine (as they just did the heads on it as someone told them that the heads were leaking and pushing coolant out the expansion tank so they put new heads on it). They went thru the cooling system, new hoses, tanks, etc.. The body looks good, but has a dent in the sliding door and is a little scratched up in places.

Now the bad news, they had problems with the automatic transmission so the owner took it to a transmission place and they worked on the tranny. Then the transmission started leaking again so the shop they took it to this time said its the seal between the tranny and transaxle and that its probably ruined the both of them. The owner had it towed to its current resting place until he can figure out what to do with it (the mechanic there only works on beetles).

He said to just make him an offer as he's tired of putting money into it especially since its his son's vehicle and he's wanting something more powerful. I don't want to pay a bunch for this, nor can I afford to. But I don't want to get stuck with an expensive van that I'm going to have to put a bunch of money into it also. Nor do I want to make him upset at me either by offering a bottom dollar price.

Any ideas what to offer? Thanks, Tony ----- Sent from Anthony Bailey KC0HZP (mailto: abailey@mac.com) on a PowerComputing PowerBase 180 in Marble Hill, Missouri