Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 4 Aug 2001 13:58:40 -0400
From:         Stu Schwartz <sschwartz@OS2BBS.COM>
Subject:      X-Country Trip is over...Trip Report #5 to follow...but first a
              question....blinking temp light...

As we left Grand Junction for the the rockies to Denver (a difficult trip for MZ Magic...the temp light went on...about 30 minutes into the trip.

Since the temp guage appeared to be working and my experience is that when there is real trouble everything goes (including the oil and electric) we decided to keep trucking...well we made it with no problems..just the usual slow speed uphill (expecially at Eisenhower tunnel.

Anyway I decide it's probably the sensor or a loose wire and I bring it in to be fixed. The repair shop in Denver says I need a water pump. Okay maybe so - anyway I did it... We leave Denver and about 35 minutes later...guess what the light starts blinking again...well same thing everything else is working so we decide to ignore it.

To make a long story short we drove about 2000 miles that way with air conditioning. I must admit I believe the old water pump worked a little better...because the engine seemed to run a little hotter (needle midway between the light and the white line...previously the needle was a little higher than the light).

Also in hot stop and go..the needle seems to go higher than that white line (previously this was when the red light could blink but since it blinks all the time I am not sure.) Anyway I will be bringing it in to my home mechanic...any suggestions?

(Oh...we also needed tires...we bought the Yokahamas and the ride is much smoother but no doubt because the old tires needed replacing).

--peace-- stu and ginger and jasmine Arlington, VA 1991 Westy (MZ MAGIC)