Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 1 Aug 2001 03:40:00 EDT
From:         Ken Hunter <EVEHART33@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: What motor specs do you have/ was Turbo muffler
Comments: To: Bryan.Belman@esavio.com

Yes I have the same engine #s as you do and it was from Eurospec. I got into this project before I knew about "the list" so knowing what I do now I probably would have taken a different route to turbodom. I tried to get the 1.9 head and modify my intake manifold to fit but at that time Eurospec wanted about $500 more than for the bolt on 1.6 style head so I passed. My FLAPS in Albuquereque put me in touch with a guy in Ruidoso, NM who had purchased this same motor and was intending to turbo it. When I contacted him (this is all about 3 years ago now ) he had installed the motor, swapped trannys, and installed the turbo system (with no muffler BTW). He had put about 3000miles on it and loved it. I also was in contact with Scott Foss Turbovans out of (then) Sausalito, CA who had done these conversions with our engine set up and I was basically assured that there would be no problems other than slightly less engine life with the turbo vs NA.. About a week after I got my engine I got a call from the guy in Ruidoso who had pulled his motor and was bringing it back to our FLAPS in Albuquereque for warranty inspection. Turns out he had a broken #1 piston and trashed cylinder. They gave him a new motor and since he moved I don't know if he had any more problems. Scott Foss weighs in on this list sometimes since he moved but we haven't heard from him yet on this topic. I have collected most of the parts for the conversion except for the EGT gauge which I consider essential. I am even considering running ECO diesel style without the fuel enrichment aneroid for less stress on the motor. The 1.9NA at 5000-6000' altitude is not what I hoped it would be. As for the oil drain in the block vs the oil pan, maybe VW did this on the block to save $$? I thought there was a Vanagon oil pan that had the oil return boss cast in?

Ken Hunter 82 Westy 1.9D 84 Jetta 1.5D 89 Mitsubishi van 2.4gas