Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 4 Aug 2001 12:04:19 -0700
From:         "James ." <tornadoredgti@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Car Wax, what kind.
Comments: To: wilden1@JUNO.COM

Meguiar's is good. I currently use One Grand BlitzWax - it's equally good, if not better and is very easy to apply. You're right to stick w/ carnuba.

I've never used Zymol, but from evertything I hear it's:

1. the best shine 2. tricky to apply 3. short-lasting ("it lasts as long as it takes to apply") 4. pricey

Keep in mind, this is the original expensive zymol, costing, perhaps, $50 for a little jar (more if you get the complete system), not the $20 stuff at K-mart. Unless it's a show car, I'd guess Zymol isn't worth the cost/effort. Although, the previous owner of my 92 GTI used Zymol, and the paint looks factory fresh: http://home.earthlink.net/~jamesvogl/zqn/rr_angle.jpg

As far as being abrasive, a good wax shouldn't be very, if at all. It's intent should be to simply add gloss/protection. The polish or glaze is what takes off paint. Even so, it wouldn't be unreasonable to polish, say, once or year or more. A good glaze/polish (meguiar's, 3M) will really bring out the color and smooth out the paint before waxing.

For a car that's always outdoors, I can't imagine any wax really lasting much more than 3-4 months.

Good Luck.

-James 90 Carat