Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 1 Aug 2001 13:49:08 EDT
From:         Frank Grunthaner <FrankGRUN@AOL.COM>
Subject:      On the Subject of Turbo's, Oil Pans and Vanagons
Comments: To: albell@uvic.ca, kadm@pugetsound.net, mwsnow@home.com,
          EVEHART33@aol.com, johnpatt@warwick.net, echomhs@gis.net

I have been following the discussion about the location of the turbocharger oil return line in vanagon installations for some time but have been too busy to join the discussion. My interest devolves from my effort to develop my Turbocharged 3A Audi 2.0 L engine for vanagon installation. I have a number of key documents on the subject from the Motortechnische Zeitschrift (MTZ) and Automobiltechnische Zeitschrift (AZT) journals. As part of this post, I am attaching a set of drawings covering the end on and transverse views of the vanagon version of the normally aspirated and the European turbo diesel engine. I also included the Vanagon TDi drawings posted on Michael Sullivan’s web site, and drawings of the transmission and engine package as mounted in the ’82 4 speed 2WD version. These drawings are in JPG format and have been zipped for the computationally challenged still using IBM style computers. I realize that the attachment will be strippede from the list posting, so should anyone want to see these, send an email request.

In addition to the drawings, I have several spare diesel (603A) oil pans, oil input spouts, dipstick assemblies, oil pumps, oil pump pickup assemblies, etc, etc. I have therefore measured and re-measured the whole system, resolved several apparent inconsistencies in those drawings. I have imported the scanned drawings into my CAD programs and added several notations to show actual static oil levels, in order to properly address the oil return placement issue. This topic should be of critical import to any of you who are contemplating adding a turbo charger to a diesel or inline 4 engine mounted at the standard 50 degree from vertical vanagon diesel angle.

Now for some discussion:

The first thing that these drawings show is that the engine and transmission package for the 4 speed early vanagon diesels is mounted at a downward sloping angle of 4 degrees (from the transmission mount to the crank pulley). The engine package is also displaced towards the front of the vehicle canting the axle half shafts forward relative to the WB half shaft position.

This downward slope is also shown in the contour and shape of the diesel oil pan. The base of the pan is designed to be level (horizontal) and therefore the front (pulley side for me) of the pan is more shallow than the rear (flywheel) side. This means that the static oil level will be higher into the block at the front than at the rear. In the drawing of the normally aspirated diesel, I have shown the static oil level corresponding to the max and min marks on the dipstick. Measurements show that the static oil level is just 52.4 mm (Max) above the oil pan base. Therefore on the front of the engine the static oil level is well above the oil pan gasket and intersects the center of the lowest crankshaft seal retaining bolt. At the rear of the engine, the max oil level just gets to the top of the oil pan seal. Moral: loose pan with full oil gives slime on the floor (leaks always!). This front to back pan depth variation is also shown in the drawings of the oil pan in the transverse views. Here though, the drawing suggests that the front of the pan is deep and the rear is shallow.

This leads to some confusing 2D drawings. A first look at the end on drawings also suggests that the pan drawing is incorrect. (too deep at the front). Upon closer inspection one realizes that the drawn edge of the pan refers to the rearmost edge (in the end on drawings). In the vanagon NA-D drawing, I have also indicated the location of the front pan edge. Consequently, the oil level is further below the crank centerline as one moves from front to rear (pulley to flywheel).

Looking at the vanagon euro TD drawings, the transverse view shows this depth variation now goes from shallow in front to deep in the rear. This symmetric reversal suggests that the turbo diesel is mounted at 4 degrees elevating from transmission mount to crankshaft pulley (exact opposite of the NA case).

BTW, the actual volume in the TD and NA pans are quite similar. By VW documentation, the oil capacity of the ’82 models was 4 liters with filter and 4.5 liters for the later TD models.

As to the location of the turbo oil drain return line, as Mike Snow had noted, the vanagon TD drawing shows a nearly horizontal oil line going smoothly from the turbo to the oil pan and entering well under the static oil level at that point. Indeed, the euro vanagon TD turbo oil return flange is just below the static oil level. So, the tube is full of oil and represents a static head pressure of at least 30 mm of hot 30 weight oil (mean viscosity) resisting the flow of oil to the pan.

Studing the drawings of Mike Sullivan’s vanagon TDi installation, shows that the turbo is now significantly higher than the euro TD install, and the oil outlet flange is now above the static oil line. But, the outlet tube first takes a 90 degree bend going up and away from the pan base, then another 90 degree jog down, ending in a boss entry into the block sidewall that is well above the crankcase oil level. The entire section of this tube up to the exit point in the block sidewall must be filled with oil representing a larger static head back pressure than the euro TD case.

Finally, in this discussion of factory solutions, last weekend I had the opportunity to study Mark Drillock’s 1.9 L Turbodiesel installation in his ’82 Westfalia. Here, the engine uses the exhaust manifold (and intake) from the Golf/Jetta installations. There is plenty of room in the engine bay. He also has the engine mounted at the 50 degree angle. In this version, the oil drain entry to the block is also in the sidewall (appears to be at the same point as the TDi install), and therefore above the static oil level. However, because the turbo is mounted significantly higher, the turbo oil drain line runs smoothly downward to the block entry point. This is the only installation that actually follows the traditional turbocharger mounting wisdom.

Returning to my 3A block, I have mounted the Garrett T3 turbo on an adapter, then to the Quantum TD exhaust manifold. The oil drain exit flange on the turbo is at nearly the same level as the euro vanagon TD installation. I have indicated the turbo mount position on the vanagon NA-D drawing. Again, the static oil level is above the gasket to the turbo return flange. So the dilemma, where to mount the return line?

According to Corky Bell’s book “Maximum Boost”, the return line must never enter below the static oil level, and there should be no bends in the line to enable trapped oil. Trapped oil or a high backpressure in the return is supposed to lead to loss of the turbo shaft seal, and bearing coking problems (oil in contact with very hot shaft decomposes to sludge, then coke). He matter-of-factly says that the low turbo mount situation calls for a scavenger pump, as used by Porsche on the 911 turbo’s and a variety of racing and motorcycle applications. 12 Volt scavenger pumps abound but are a bit pricey ($300 to $800).

I am considering several options:

1). Mount the return line to the pan in the VW factory TD way, get on with life, and begin saving to buy remanufactured turbo cartridges from ebay in bulk.

2). Fly the Michael Sullivan TDi way with a high block entry and a looping hose. Life also proceeds and the saving club for steady turbo replacement begins as well.

3). Fabricate an intermediate oil chamber with two large 1 inch ID pipes going into the oil pan sump at front and back for good circulation. Add a large vertical line from this side chamber to the crankcase ventilation circuit to relieve any pressure build-up. Then run a 0.75 inch ID line to the turbo minimizing the path. According to Bell, the turbo axis can be tilted +/- 30 degrees from vertical with no problems. This would help shorten the path and slightly reduce the height differential.

4). Mechanical scavenger pump. I have several VW/Audi rotary vane power steering pumps sitting unused, complete with mounting brackets and pulleys. I am now wondering if I could hook up one of these units as a hydraulic scavenging oil pump. Connect the suction line to the turbo oil outlet return and the outlet of the PS pump would go to the unused oil dipstik tube. If the output pressure is too high I could change the orifice in the pressure control valve thereby increasing the amount of bypass flow and lowering the output pressure. Presumably, the oil input line will always be supplying oil flow through the bearing during operation. The PS pump should not quite run dry, but would generally be inhaling heavily aerated oil (foam). The flow rate on the PS pump is probably much higher than the oil return flow, so I worry about running it dry. Squealing PS pump is not good.

5). Buy 12 volt scavenging dry sump pump from Summit racing. Probably bad. Admits defeat and may trigger uncontrollable urge to convert engine to a dry sump system.

I will gratefully entertain comments and alternative suggestions. Anyone know of other factory engines using belt driven oil scavenging pumps?

My apologies to the disinterested on the length. But you saw the poster ID and therefore knew it was long and verbose! Remember the delete key.

Frank Grunthaner