Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 4 Aug 2001 20:41:10 -0700
From:         Tom Salicos <TomSalicos@HOME.COM>
Subject:      Re: Trip to North West
Comments: To: Will Pierson <billyfeet@SURFREE.COM>

Going "Down the Coast" can mean lots of things. Coastlines are hugely long, due to a lack of straightness, and I would not recommend going "down the coast" just to be doing it. I can't say much about the Washington Coast, but the Oregon Coast is wonderful. I personally would use I-5 South from Seattle then head to the coast from Portland. West on Hiway 26. Then go South from Seaside. Remember that most of the coast routes, you are not ON the coast, but prolly in foresty areas close to the coast. That can get boring.

One of the treasures of the Northwest is Canada -- just North of us. You can take ferries from Seattle, to the San Juan Islands and Victoria, BC. Victoria is a must-see, especially the Bushart Gardens. They stole a lot of landscaping ideas from me.

If you care about History, take Hiway 30 West from Portland and wind up at Astoria, near the mouth of the Columbia. Climb the "Astoria Column", and find out if you have vertigo. Lewis and Clark spent a winter at Ft Clatsop, and there is a replica of the place, so you can get into that stuff if it fills your jib.

Near Portland, go East twenty miles or so to Multnomah Falls, the most-visited tourist site in Oregon. A make-work project in the '40's created a wonderful scenic highway along the Columbia River Gorge. Some of the hand stone work is still there. Have lunch at the lodge. P-mail me if you want to do this, 'cause there is a best way to see this stuff. Also, Bonneville Dam and a fish hatchery up there.

In California, you can take Hiway 101, which does not hug the coast too much. If you cross over to Hiway 1, it is really beautiful but long. Either way, look for redwood forests, or "groves" as they are now called. The redwoods are pretty amazing and put your little life right into perspective.

Consider seeing the Hearst Mansion at San Simeon, California. Not sure if you need reservations, check it out. Randolph Hearst built a castle there. They have tours and it's a must-see for West Coast tourists. Check out the sea lions on the coast around this area. You get to see them up close pretty good.

Big Sur State Park is pretty nice. Well-developed park. I'd recommend it.

Disneyland, obviously. Wouldn't worry about Knott's Berry Farm, if you had to make a choice. In San Diego, the Zoo has always been first class. Of course, Sea World is a must-see.

The West Coast has lots to offer and I hope you enjoy the trip.

Tom Salicos

----- Original Message ----- From: "Will Pierson" <billyfeet@SURFREE.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Saturday, August 04, 2001 3:33 PM Subject: Trip to North West