Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 5 Aug 2001 10:34:47 -0400
From:         Helen Fahy <72510.1173@COMPUSERVE.COM>
Subject:      Re: Abnormal tire wear 1984 Vanagon
Comments: To: Jason Stevenson <jstv4man@HOME.COM>

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jason Stevenson" <jstv4man@HOME.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Sunday, August 05, 2001 8:42 AM Subject: Abnormal tire wear 1984 Vanagon

To the list at large- I need help (yet again). I need some ideas on what might be causing the problem I'm having. As the title suggests, I'm having seriously abnormal tire wear, especially in the front. I have a 1984 Vanagon (standard). I replaced the tires about a year ago, when I bought the vehicle. Shortly thereafter, I noticed accellerated wear on the insides of the front tires. That was easily solved by having it aligned front and rear. I then rotated the front tires to the back, and vice versa. It wasn't too long before I began to see rapid wear on the fronts again (this time on the OUTside of the tires). I naturally assumed that they had simply not done the alignment quite right, so I took it back, and they redid it free of charge. They told me when I picked it up that one side was off by 1 degree. I remember thinking that didn't seem like enough to account for that kind of wear, but went on my way. A short time later, I noticed still more wear, especially on the front tires. I'm now past the service warranty period on the alignment. But I'm starting to think that isn't the problem to begin with. The most obvious thing I can think of is shocks. Does that sound like my best bet of what to do next to the experts on the list? Or should I be looking elsewhere in the suspension/wheel location system?

Thanks in advance- Jason Stevenson

Hi Jason,

Shock absorber related tire wear manifests itself as an irregular cupped wear pattern. Ypu can visualize the wear pattern as the result of the tire bouncing as well as rolling.

When I set up the alignment on my 'gon, I load the van with weight equivalent to how I plan to use it. If the van is predominantly used for camping, then I will load it with all my camping stuff. If the van is used for commutting, then I would only include the weight of the passengers. This includes equivalent passenger weight in the seats, distributed as the people are. If a 250 pounder usually drives and the 95 pounder usually rides shotgun, then 250#s in the driver seat and 95#s in the passenger. If the 75 pound dog usually rides in between the front seats, 75 pounds goes there. To load the seats, I use bags of water softening salt. The weight is known and so long as the plastic bag is intact, it is not messy. In addition I make sure that I have a half tank of gas when doing this.

This accounting for anticipated normal loading of the chassis does make a difference in the suspension loading and resultant alignment.

If the loading of your van is not consistent, then some unusual wear is inevitable. Frequent rotation of the tires will help to extract the maximum life from the rubber. But as we usually have wildly varying loadings on our vans, we will generally never see the rated life of the tire. When setting up the suspension you are striving for a weight loading that corresponds to the predominant usage pattern of the van.

HTH Joe