Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 5 Aug 2001 18:13:50 -0700
From:         Todd Last <Rubatoguy@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      Front suspension

I just finished putting in new strut bar bushings in my '88 Westy. This isn't as bad a job as I thought - but make sure you have a giant 27mm combination wrench.

I made a few observations that I thought I'd pass on.

First, it looks like VW changed the design of the rubber bushings, the new ones I got from the dealer, same part number as the old ones, were much more conical looking and about .5" taller. I took some photos which I will post when I get them developed.

The front bushing has a metal washer bonded to the bushing. On my van, both of them were rusted, and were trying to spread their rust to the body where they bolt to the frame. The metal collar that goes over the strut bar inside the rubber bushing was rusted a bit as well.

So, if you are going to change these, make sure you get the metal (bushing) that goes inside the rubber bushings. The job goes much easier if you wirebrush the threads on the strut bar, and then spray with PB Blaster.

I didn't think that this would make a much a difference in how the van handles - but I was wrong. It is a worthwhile job. The suspension has a much better feel now.

Todd '88 Westy