Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 6 Aug 2001 11:26:09 -0400
From:         Paul Cavanaugh <phonyexpress@IWAYNET.NET>
Subject:      Re: pressure in cooling system
Comments: To: "John Y. Hung" <jdaezhung@home.com>

Hi John,

Thanks for writing. It is possible that the transmission coolers blew from a separate problem - maybe an overheating/pressurized transmission? I know nothing about trannys, except that this is the first problem I have had with one in 25 years of VWs - spread over 4 vehicles and 600,000 miles.

I've had two shops look at the car - one says the hoses "feel" over pressured, though I would think that would blow the pressure cap on the expansion tank. They can't seem to do a good pressure test or a coolant test for exhaust. Their recommendation, from experience, is a rebuild.

My main shop says no excessive pressure is showing at this time (intermittent?) and no hydrocarbons showed up in the coolant test. He is not sure what is going on.

Neither shop seems to want to do a compression test, though I have suggested they pressurize the cylinders over night.

I may take it to a third place.

I would feel better about rebuilding the engine if I was sure of what was going wrong. Already had the tranny rebuilt when the 2nd cooler burst.

Paul