Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 6 Aug 2001 14:24:22 EDT
From:         Frank Grunthaner <FrankGRUN@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Expert Comment on the Turbo Oil Drain Delimma

At the gleeful risk of boring the great majority of list members out there, I am moved to share some of my recent correspondence on the issue. As those of you with a modicum of interest will recall, I'm grappling with the issue of how to connect the turbocharger return line to the oil sump in my Audi 3A project. Lacking extended responses from the list or several VW forums I follow, I sent the following email to Corky Bell, author of the excellent book on turbocharging "Maximum Boost":

I'm building a turbocharged Audi 3A 2.0L engine using the Bosch LH-Jetronic fuel system, and the Garrett T3 with the complete SAAB APC knock sensor boost control system (all taken from a '88 900 turbo. I plan to run the stock 10.5:1 compression ratio, limit boost to 7 psi max and will use an Audi 5000 intercooler. I am using the original Audi 3A high flow intake manifold, and an exhaust manifold from a VW Quantum 1.6L TurboDiesel. I have fabricated a stainless steel flange adapter to mount the T3 on the VW TD manifold. I'm looking for a reliable 160 to 175 hp. All seems to be going well except for one key flaw. I will be mounting the engine in my VW Vanagon (formerly diesel powered) camper. The engine mount angle is 50 degrees from vertical as compared to the typical VW mount angle of 15 degrees. Therefore, the problem. The turbo oil return drain port gasket is at the same level as the top of the static oil level in the pan. According to your book, this situation calls for a scavenger pump to pull the aerated oil from the turbo drain and dump it back into the crankcase above the oil level. I have contacted the suppliers listed in the book for oil pumps and received the equivalent of audio shrugs over the phone. Tilton Engineering makes a 12 volt pump, but claims mods must be made to use it, but no details. I can find no trace of the oil pressure driven scavenging pump you mention. I could sure use some leads here.

BTW, VW has mounted several different inline 4 turbocharged diesels in their european models. I have the factory cross-sectional drawings. For the 1.6L and 1.7L versions, the turbo is at the same level as my approach, and the oil return line enters the oil pan about 22 mm. below the static oil level. The line is long and nearly horizontal, and the internal diameter is right around 15 mm. For the 1.9L engine (later design), the turbo mount is about 1 cm. higher, but the oil line makes an immediate 90 degree bend coming from the outlet flange, goes up and away from the oil level in the pan, then takes an other 90 degree jog down to the side of the block, where the oil enters above the static oil level. Clearly this line must be full of oil. The oil head level is at least 50 mm. So, all the factory versions violate your oil return basic rules. Open to suggestions. Oh yes, when hot, the idle oil pressure drops to 5 psi and runs roughly 10 psi per 1K rpm up to about 4500, were it rests.

Enjoyed the book!

Frank Grunthaner

Corky just replied with the following:

Hi Frank,

You have found one of the overly conservative flaws in the book. I think your drain will work okay. It is entirely possible to put the oil back into the sump below the oil level. Somewhere in there is a judgment call, but I\'d say your layout is worth a try and will, 9 out of 10, be okay. The difference, if any, will show up down the road after 10\'s of thousands of miles, when a slightly worn rear turbo seal may leak a little that would not otherwise if it had 20 inches to drop to the oil level. Pumps are available, but lets work that out if your system doesn't prove workable.

Corky

Other data:

I have now found 12 volt electrically driven scavenger pumps rated to handle oil, high temperatures and continuous duty. Surprisingly, this problem must be addressed by every turbo kit manufacturer for motorcycles and most of the kit manufacturers supporting American V6 and V8 installs. Prices range from $85 to $275. Information on request.

Frank Grunthaner