Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 9 Aug 2001 11:38:12 -0500
From:         Alan Watts <alan@16COLOR.COM>
Subject:      Re: Starts then won't....
Comments: To: Steven Johnson <sjohnso2000@YAHOO.COM>

I had the same problem a few weeks ago and it frustrated me to no end. After dealing with it for a couple of months while on my vacation (and carefully planning long-term stops and pumping gas with the engine running), I got home to fix it and started by unplugging the o2 and temp sensors. It still wouldn't start. The next day however, the van miraculously healed itself and has been fine ever since....very wierd....but of course, this is from a van that had a coolant leak and fixed itself after going to get new t-brackets and hoses. So I suspect that maybe one of the sensors had a bad connection and I brought it back to life by just unplugging and plugging it back in..? Try getting a wire brush and cleaning your contacts first. If that doesn't work, (something I was going to do at the next stage) check for a spark by pulling the hot wire that goes into the distributor and hold it close to a piece of metal on the engine. Have someone crank the engine and see if it sparks. It would be wise to use a tool with a rubber grip and not be hit by the spark. This problem is annoying to troubleshoot cause you have to drive for 30 minutes and then you have 30 minutes to track down the problem....so get all your tools ready!

Good luck, Alan

At 8:21 AM -0700 8/9/01, Steven Johnson wrote: >Well, I've been driving my '91 Camper during these >warmer months of summer to take advantage of it's >AC. I backed out of the garage and it stalled and >wasn't able to get it started again. It turns over >just fine but it just won't catch at all. Now I know >I've been having trouble with it during the warm- >up cycle and kind of suspected the coolant temp >sensor. What I didn't check this morning was the >O2 sensor. I probably should've disconnected it >to see if I could get it started. Doh!! Anyway, >I can hear the fuel pump going okay when I just >turn the key. I pulled the distributor cap to make >sure the rotor looked okay as well. No problem there. >Any other places to check? I'll start with the O2 >disconnect when I get home (if it's cool enough) and >proceed from there. > >Thanks for your hard earned talent... > >Cheers! > >Steven > >__________________________________________________ >Do You Yahoo!? >Make international calls for as low as $.04/minute with Yahoo! Messenger >http://phonecard.yahoo.com/