Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 10 Aug 2001 08:54:09 -0700
From:         David O'Shea <DOShea@GEOMATRIX.COM>
Subject:      Are Car Problems Contagious?

Read the following and be warned:

Last week I noticed some coolant dribbling to the ground under the rear of my diesel westfalia. Upon inspection, I discovered that the water pump was leaking at the shaft. Not a big deal. I got my self home with no problem and had the pump out by 10:00 am Saturday. I ziplocked the pump and gaskets (to make sure of a match at the parts store) and I jumped into my other car (bmw 525i) and drove to the store. I bought the parts and, with new and old parts on the front seat beside me, I drove on home. About 2 miles from my house, the BMW started to overheat. Thinking what a weird coincidence this was, I pulled over, inspected, and decided that only a bad thermostat would create the set of symptoms I was observing (details available for any interested parties-no vanagon content). 3 cool-off stops and 30 minutes later I was home.

The VW water pump replacement went quickly and successfully. I jumped into the VW to go back to the parts store for the BMW thermostat & gaskets. Halfway to the store it hit me. Had I inadvertently contaminated one car with the faulty parts of the other? -- Maybe a german coolant system virus of some sort? I looked over at the ziplocked bag on the passenger seat beside me. The same bag that had held the water pump before. If coolant system problems are contagious, maybe ziplock bags don't provide enough protection. Had I even sealed the bag when the VW water pump was in it? I wasn't sure.

Home again I got to work on the BMW. This job also went easily and quickly, except, a test drive revealed that my roadside diagnosis was faulty -- the car still gets too hot on the open road. I'm sweating now. I limp home and park. At this point my wife enters the garage and asks: "How long before the car's fixed?" (This is my second favorite question, right after: "Are you sure you know what you're doing?")

Well, at this point I figured I had either a blockage in the cooling system/radiator -- or A BAD WATER PUMP! I pulled the water pump first and indeed, it had failed -- the plastic fins that drive the coolant were shattered (new pump uses metal fins BTW).

Two failed water pumps in two days? -- I think this is pretty conclusive evidence that some sort of contagion is on the loose and I thought I should alert you all to this potential danger. If anyone out there has experienced this and has a cure, please let me know. I want to stop this before it spreads any farther.

Dave O. SF, CA 83 Diesel Westfalia