Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 10 Aug 2001 12:35:04 -0400
From:         Kevin Hayden <sevenkevin@WEBTV.NET>
Subject:      Update on It's Alive...Sort of!! :-)

Hello and Thank You to all of you who have taken the time out of your busy day to read and try to help me out! I do appreciate your kindness and knowledge!

Well, I took Roxanne (1985 Vanagon 1.9 L) back to the shop to see what the mechanic had to say. He will pull the motor out on Tuesday to see what is going on. He said it could be one of two things... First a bad seal (which he had put in) or the block was not tightened properly when it was rebuilt. He also mentioned that there is a stainless steel sleeve that goes around the seal, which is optional, that this engine doesn't have. He said something about a groove in this area that might be letting the oil get by..and I'm telling you the oil is coming out at a hefty pace. It is also coming out of the top of the motor where the plastic plug (which is missing) goes into the bell housing. There is about two teaspoons laying there. He said that if I drove it, I'd be losing approximately a quart every half hour.

As far as the cooling system goes, I drove it to the shop, which is less than a mile away from my home, and the gauge pegged to the right and the red warning light starting flashing as I was pulling in to the shop. The mechanic checked it out to see if it was circulating and it was. He left it run at idle with the fan disconnected, for about 10 minutes, to see if it would over heat and it didn't. The gauge ranged from 1/2 to 3/4 but the light never came back on. He's going to change the censors and check the thermostat out when he has the engine out.

I will keep you posted and just wanted to let you all know what is going on in case you ever run into a problem like this.

Thanks Again and have a GREAT day!!

Happy Trailin',

Kevin sevenkevin@webtv.net

1985 1.9 Vanagon (Roxanne) 1979 Chevy 400 Van (The Devil Dog) 1963 Chevy Impala SS 327 (still working on it)