Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 11 Aug 2001 14:55:39 -0700
From:         Michael Snow <mwsnow@HOME.COM>
Subject:      Re: Jump Seats-How to Mount to Floor?

The factory uses a plate on each side of the floor (top and bottom, inside and outside). The bottom plate has a 'pipe' welded perpendicular to its face that sticks up through the floor. The seat frame fits into this pipe. The brackets are welded in place. I compromised a bit and fabricated floor plates from bar stock that are welded to the floor on the inside only. There are no holes drilled through the floor. I've been using it this way for about a year with no problems. I used two layers of 1/4 inch stock that is the same width as the recesses in the floor, possibly 1.5 or 1.75 inch. The bottom piece is about 5 inches long, top is about 2 inches. I drilled a hole the right size (about 1/2 inch) for the seat bracket pegs (with the plastic caps to keep it quiet) through both layers of the steel. They are welded into a single unit like this (pathetic) illustration.

(the hole is, of course, round)

The whole thing is spot welded directly to the floor around the perimeter. I have the passenger van floor padding that is molded to the shape of the floor. I used a utility knife to relieve the underside of the padding for the floor brackets. My fabricated floor bracket is about the same thickness as the molded padding, so there is no bulge in the carpet.

Where the seat bracket mounts to the battery box, I drilled holes and used 1 inch wide x 1/8 inch thick stock on the back side with large washers. You have to remove the fuel overflow tank in the wheel well to do this.

Mike Snow

I just picked up folding jump seats from an 87 Wolfburg. The two legs fit into hollow cyinders that are welded to the floor. Has anyone else mounted these into a van that did not have the welded brackets, nor the welded in nuts in the seat pedestals hat the top brackets screws into?

John R 81 Westy