Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 12 Aug 2001 07:01:00 -0500
From:         Max Wellhouse <maxjoyce@IPA.NET>
Subject:      Boston Bob Engine update from south of Mason/Dixon

This kind of information is very helpful to those of us that have purchased engines from various vendors as well as to those contemplating future purchases.

I bought one of the polished head/mild cam engines from Bob and eventually got it running at a decent level, but that was more due to the fact that I had installed an aftermarket FI system that was a PITA to get set up. It's not perfect yet, but it's driveable and getting a little over 17mpg right now, despite the Halmeter still reading rich through most of the load and rpm ranges. Won't screw with it much more til I fix the exhaust leaks in the Stebro J pipe and cat to Stebro muffler connections.

My experience with the B Bob motor has generally been positive as I approach 2000 miles on the rebuild. I am now running the Castol 20w50 oil which has brought the oil pressure up to minimum standards at least. Although these numbers really aren't any better than the numbers I was getting with my 160k original with the same oil in it. I knew eventually that the rod bolts would stretch out so better to fix while all is intact.

My low vaccum was likely not enough inital timing. it currently fluctuates between 12-14 in. but idling at 700, I wouldn't expect any more than 10-12. Jacking the idle up to 900-1000 should make the vaccum jump some. Tight manifold/ throttle body/vaccum line connections should help it as well.

Whatever increase in low rpm torque I thought I was going to get hasn't materialized yet but I can't fault the engine for that yet, as I have not played with the accelerator pump program on the Haltech FI system yet. It is extremely strong from 3000-5000 however, but then that could be the fuel map settings I have at that range currently. Pulling power in 4th gear is less than I'd like, but then I do have the Weddle 4.57 r/p and the .77 4th gear. The motor pulls very strongly in 3rd up to a little over 60 mph.

After the better part of 5 months gettingthis thing on the road and runningand then attempting to program the fuel and igniton maps, I think I'll drive it a while and enjoy before making more changes.

My plans are to add the TWM twin throttle bodies to this engine when the cash becomes available. Can't help thinking that single OEM throttle body is holding this motor back some. Running .006 on the valves right now and have 150 +/- 2 psi on all 4 cyl. Yes, this motor did run warmer while breaking it in and has cooled off some since. The 100 air temps haven't helped in that department either.

End o report.

Dimwitted Moose and Flying Squirrel