Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 12 Aug 2001 07:43:48 -0700
From:         Karl Wolz <wolzphoto@WORLDNET.ATT.NET>
Subject:      Re: bilstiens.. are they worth it

I always seem to be swimming upstream with this observation, but here goes:

After around 150,000 miles, I removed my KYBs from my Westy to install new ones. Front end guy asked "Why, these look as good as new?", but I did notice a difference in ride. I then put the used KYBs on my GL, where they are still doing their job with another 40 or 50,000 miles on them.

I had Bilsteins on the Westy (before the KYBs) and they fell apart. One lasted only about 20K and the other around 30K. In both cases the mounting brackets broke. My mechanic told me that that is very common with Bilsteins, and that the shock is too stiff for it's own good.

Obviously, YMMV.

Karl Wolz ----- Original Message ----- From: "DaveC" <voicebox@DNAI.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Sunday, August 12, 2001 12:20 AM Subject: Re: bilstiens.. are they worth it