Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 8 Aug 2001 14:14:11 EDT
From:         Frank Grunthaner <FrankGRUN@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 2.0L AUDI Turbo thots
Comments: To: al_knoll@pacbell.net

Pensioner,

A vigorous sortie indeed! It would appear that we are at cross purposes. You wish to turn the transmission innards into a shimmering hydrocarbon dispersed metallic pate, whilst I naively hope to only flirt with disaster. Having already fed the furry (local, only local) transmission men several fiscal banquets already, I have concluded that the fundamental weakness of this box is the manual trans.

Based on several anecdotal reports, my information suggests that the 4 speed manual is in the trans shop eating my lunch at 200 + #ft of torque. Now there may be some uniquely blessed players on the AlCan highway pumping 225 #ft through that metastable drive train (hopefully with a spare trans behind the rear seat). But as a fervent believer in statistics and vengeful gods, I do believe disaster awaits Brian, and I lurk on the Subaru/Vanagon list for the details.

Now as for some numbers. Of course, I completely agree that HP is just a numerical exercise on the torque curve and torque rules as the only meaningful number.

The original Vanagon Diesel put out a maximum torque of 76 #ft at 2000 rpm. It developed 75 from 1600 to 3300 rpm. Output dropped to 67.5 at 1300 rpm and 3950 rpm. Twas this output that the original trans was designed (the gas 1.6 L actually, but I don't have those numbers) to handle, with a typical Germanic safety margin. 200 #ft is a 266% design margin. Pretty good. BTW, the torque max for the European turbodiesel in the Vanagon was 105 #ft at 2400, 94 #ft or more from 1600 to 3600, and 75 #ft from 1300 to 4600 rpm. The Audi 2.3L 5 cylinder engine (gas) put out 142 #ft at 4000 and 112 or more from 1500 to 6000. The 1.9 TDi engine is rated at 90 bhp at 3750 and 155 #ft of torque at 1900. Almost finally, the European 2.5L V6 TDi is rated at 231 #ft at 2100 rpm.

My best info says that repaired 3/4 hub Vanagon manuals are breaking with 1.9 TDi engines, but I have no direct evidence. The evidence is anecdotal and not direct. My previous statement of 200 #ft max comes from discussions on s everal European boards. I sent a letter to the original Vanagon design team but never got a response. Nonetheless, Michael Sullivan, with far more money than I is running the 1.9 TDi without reported incident. Could also be that the syncro trans is a hardier beast. Wouldn't know. I haven't finished translating the article on the syncro design.

As to the turbocharged Audi 3A 2.0 L gas engine torque curve, torque max is 185 to 192 #ft at 3000 rpm, with 175 #ft or more delivered from 2200 to 4700 rpm. On the low rpm side, the torque drops to 150 #ft at 2000 rpm and on the high side it drops to 140 at 6000 rpm. From my perspective this is good, essentially twice the original diesel maximum torque over the entire reasonable engine operating range (2000 to 6000 rpm).

Now there are several serious limitations here in Audi turbo 3A implementation. All chosen because I have assumed a 160 bhp/190 #ft limitation on the Vanagon trans. Several nutsos in the VW community are pumping more than 400 #ft of torque at 4000 rpm with turbocharged 2.0 liter 8 valve engines. I chose to stay with the stock 10.5 to 1 compression ratio to maximize low rpm torque and general engine functionality (and brake specific fuel consumption) before the turbo can reasonably supply boost. This limits the maximum boost pressure to 10 psi gauge. The nutso's are running 18 - 21 psi at 8.5 to 1 compression ratios with stock 2.0 liter bottom ends. Non-negligable number of molten piston reports at 18 psi and above. I also chose to use the SAAB APC boost control system which limits boost by keeping it just below the knock or detonation onset at any rpm. I could still add internal water vapor injection to bring the max boost level up to 12.5 psi gauge, which would bring the torque level on the Audi 3A to around 250 #ft but I'd only consider this if AATransaxle had a special on 5 speeds with tool steel gears and synchronizers for $500 or less.

OK, I'm certainly trying to get VR6 performance when needed, trying to get the brake specific fuel consumption numbers from a high volumetric efficiency 2.0 liter inline 4 when cruising and trying to hold on to the remarkable mechanical durability of the VW 2.0 liter inline 4 to boot. Yeah its probably a fantasy, but it keeps me from reading rasty texts on the internet, or all night vigils at the MBE system on Saturday night.

My comments about gear ratios should be a matter of record in the archives. Comparing my 5.86 to 1 rear to your 4.86 to 1, says that for any given engine rpm in top gear, my system will put down 20 percent more torque at the drive wheels. Number is approximate but would be even higher in comparison with the syncro because of additional powertrain losses. So, my 188-192 #ft torque max should be compared to yours as 226 to 232 #ft. so your engine (? - 2.5 or 3.3 or) and mine should have about the same thrust at the wheel.

So, my engine bay will be stuffed, so will yours. My system will have the 4 ring logo and will be embued with the aroma of AugustinerBrau and Wagner and the echo of the p-wagens, whilst yours will have the zest of Kirin rice beer the silken strains of a woodflute and the memory of the Subaru 360. Besides, I am more comfortable in deutsch and the gotterdamerung as compared to the essence of Kanji and the Shinto.

Now there is a real question on the design margin on the Audi vs. the Subaru engines. The VW 2.0 inline 4 is a proven 250,000 mile engine. The general VAG overbuild ratio on water-cooled engines is rumored to be 2.5 to 3.0 times application specification. I have no knowledge of the Suburu approach. Clearly the turbo is stressing the engine and trans. Of course, for equivalent speeds and conditions (70 mph, 5300 pound loaded Westfalia, dodging Amarillos on the Permian Plateau in Texas at 110 F in the shade), the stress on the Audi 3A is identical to the stress on my current VW RV 1.8 L (certified 300,000 mile capable engine), since the power level required is the same. If I call on the enhanced power level of the turbo for 20% of its driving time, I would expect a 35% to 40% increase in net total stress. Sucker will probably only last another 150,000 miles. But by then the PD TDi might well be in NA and tool steel racing 5 speed Vanagon transaxles may abound! Aah yes, 5 and 20 nubile ... all wrenching ... Better stop here!

Hopefully, Darrell at AA trans or equivalent will put his offspring through Harvard on your nickel and not mine! Oh, yeah, TDi is definitely the better choice!

Frank Grunthaner