Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 14 Aug 2001 10:15:14 -0500
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: what differences form 83 up
Comments: To: bscotto@UREACH.COM

Many interior parts can be upgraded and you should get spare parts from later Vanagons as you find the. The biggest change can be the interior if you find a really nice donor van in a wrecking yard. For spare parts get window crank handles, rear view mirror, sun visors and the little clip, outside mirrors if they are nice and tight. Sliding door handles, the locking part. Gas caps. Bumper end caps. Bumper rubber strips. Headlight switches and any kind of light bulbs with the holders, especially the front turn signal bulb holders and lenses. Keep an eye out for near perfect plastic parts of any kind since yours are approaching a quarter century in age you'll eventually need them. I've seen a wide variety of driving lights, hub caps, arm rests, swivel seats, exhaust pipes with the cat and muffler. I just buy this stuff as I find it and replace broken mirrors, sun visors etc. as years go by. If you're not in any hurry the price is usually cheaper. It doesn't hurt to be picking up spare engines, tranny, drive axles if you've got the room to store them. I've had my 83 Westfalia for seven years and have used almost every spare part that I've acquired over that seven years. Sometimes I buy crippled Westys and resurrect them but they don't come along often, so in the interim period I wreck out some 200$ Vanagons and crush out the bodies to get my money back. My latest Westfalia resurrection is shown here http://blackhead.netfirms.com/81verycherry.htm , it was in very good appearance shape but I still had to put about 800$ worth of parts on it to bring it back. If you buy a complete Vanagon for parts, don't expect to get much in the line of running gear since they are sorely neglected by owners 4,5,6,7,8 and 9.

Stan Wilder 83 Westfalia Air Cooled

On Tue, 14 Aug 2001 08:56:30 -0400 Brian Scotto <bscotto@UREACH.COM> writes: > I own an 82 diesel, and i see there are tons of differences > after 83, like brakes.. and some other things, can you guys let > me know... and also tell me whut some good upgrades are from > pre 83 to later > > ________________________________________________ > Get your own "800" number > Voicemail, fax, email, and a lot more > http://www.ureach.com/reg/tag

________________________________________________________________ GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO! Juno offers FREE or PREMIUM Internet access for less! Join Juno today! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.