Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 16 Aug 2001 16:13:10 -0400
From:         marty <ricin@MEDIAONE.NET>
Subject:      Re: Alternator and O2 Dash lights on

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Beierl" <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET> > At 01:55 PM 8/16/2001, Karl Ploessl wrote: > >The battery & EGR light stay on until I goose the > >throttle a little. If I just drive offf the lights will stay on for awhile. > >Same diagnosis? Weak alternator? Thanks." > > I missed this part first time around. The alternator should start charging > at least by 1200-1500 rpm, then continue even if you idle down below normal > idle. If that's not what's happening, there's a problem. > > > no, if I recall it correctly that's the way it supposed to work. I > >"think" you need about 800 rpm and then the alternator light goes off and > >reving up the engine gives you the 800 rpm.

my 85 GL does the same thing, when I first start it the battery light comes on until I goose rpm's a bit then it goes off.