Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 16 Aug 2001 20:36:27 EDT
From:         Frank Condelli <RAlanen@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Auto Trans Problems

A few weeks ago I asked about an '83 auto tranny that was slipping in third gear. Most responses I received were that the clutch plates were most likely fried. After some prodding from Listee Dennis Haynes encouraging me to try my hand at rebuilding this tranny, I decided to have a go at it. I got it out and up on the bench and started disassembly, slowly to get the idea of where every thing goes and what it does. The first/reverse clutch pack, Bentley pg. 38.7, was first out and all the plates looked fine. Then upon removing the forward clutch assembly, Bentley pg. 38.17, I saw the problem. The large circlip that holds the clutch pack in the direct/reverse clutch assembly is out of its place, lying loose between the rear of the forward clutch assembly and the front of the direct/reverse clutch assembly. The first steel plate is discoloured, burnt blue, but all the rest of the steel plates and fibre plates were fine as are the ones in the forward clutch assembly. Seems that for some reason the circlip holding the direct/reverse clutch pack in its drum came out. Why ? That's the big question now. Seems to me I could just put everything back in its proper position and the tranny would be fine. The circlip seems to have plenty of tension. I guess I should replace it and the discoloured steel plate just for security reasons. But I sure would like to know what caused the circlip to come out. Will it happen again or was this just a Vanagon fluke ? Anyone out there with some expert advice on this issue ? It sure would be appreciated rite about now.

Cheers

Frank Condelli Almonte, Ontario, Canada <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/BusFusion/bfhome.htm">BusFusion</A> a VW Camper camping event in Almonte, ON, June 2002 '87 Westy & Lionel Trains Member: <A HREF="http://www.vanagon.com/">Vanagon List</A>, <A HREF="http://www.bcn.net/~limbo/">LiMBO</A>, <A HREF="http://www.westfalia.qc.ca/CIW_English.asp">IWCCC</A> & Capital City VW Club Vanagon/Vanagon Westfalia Service in the Ottawa Valley <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/stebro.htm">STEBRO/Vanagon Stainless Steel Mufflers</A>   <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/busindex.html">Frank Condelli & Associates</A> or http://frankcondelli.com

[text/html]