Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 16 Aug 2001 23:48:21 -0400
From:         The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Aren't all Vanagon spark plug wires the same?

> Differences for the Vanagon depends on air or water cooled, then 83-88, then 89 later. The 89+ > use the small pin connectors in the distributor cap. VW now only supplies > the later wire sets. I've learned to buy the dealer sets as the > after market do not seem to last. The ends either short to the shell or open > up.

Actually, '83-1/2 to '84 used different coil, cap, and wires (the Bosch replacement wire set is part number 09180). '85 up takes an 09272 wire set; the coil wire is different.

Interesting that you should bring up the question of Genuine vs. Aftermarket plug wires. Not that I have personally run into any problems with the Bosch wires (I sell a ton of them; they carry a lifetime warranty and I rarely get a warranty request), but I do have some news regarding the original equipment wires.

I will have Vanagon spark plug wires coming from Europe next week, from the factory that makes them for Volkswagen. (I'm not at liberty to mention the name, but it's owned by a rather well known German based company, and isn't Bosch.) These come out of the same production run that VW sells in Europe, but without the VW name or price. They will be a whole lot cheaper than either the VW _or_ the Bosch brands.

Details to follow.

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. (215) 234-VWVW www.busdepot.com

_____________________________________________ Toll-Free for Orders Only: 1-866-BUS-DEPOT