Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 17 Aug 2001 19:17:55 -0400
From:         Kevin Hayden <sevenkevin@WEBTV.NET>
Subject:      SERIOUS rear main oil seal leak !

Hello Everyone!

My mechanic pulled my 1.9 engine again and replaced the rear main oil seal for the second time. He started it up....no leaks. however, after driving it for about 10 minutes, oil is pouring out of the rear of the motor again !! This motor that he put in had been rebuilt by a mechanic that works at a vw dealership.Since it was setting for about 2 years, my mechanic decided to put in a new seal. He said it might bee too much blowby (since it smokes when you gun it) that is pushing the oil past the seal.I only put 25 miles on van since this motor was installed.The guy that did the rebuild told me run it for a while.He mentioned that the shims behind the seal are critical. The flywheel is off my old engine.My mechanic said that he did not check for end play and installed what shims that were on the motor. Looking at the old seal, there is metal coming through the rubber(scrap marks) in about 5 spots around the seal that range from about 1/4 " to 1" .They are spaced in the 12, 1, 5, 7,9, and 11 o'clock positions.They are all on the outside of the inner groove of the seal. After talking with my mechanic today, he said he checked end play by removing the belts ane said it was a bit excessive. I think he said .0004. Is that too much? Please let me know what do . Thanks for your time. Kevin

1985 1.9 Vanagon (Roxanne)