Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 20 Aug 2001 08:44:54 -0400
From:         Jay L Snyder <Jay.L.Snyder@USA.DUPONT.COM>
Subject:      Re: do we have a vacuum leak?

---------------------- Forwarded by Jay L Snyder/AE/DuPont on 08/20/2001 08:46 AM ---------------------------

Jay L Snyder 08/20/2001 08:43 AM

To: "Scott G. Terry" <sgterry@ENGINEERING.UCSB.EDU> cc: Subject: Re: do we have a vacuum leak? (Document link not converted)

I am getting 15" at idle. I adjusted my valves over the weekend as per Boston Bob's procedure. Excellent so far. Quiet valves and more power. Also, cold starts are much improved. I backed off the adjusters to 0 lash, and just tightened ~1/4 turn. I think most of the fuel pressure problems are vacuum related. I would suggest replacing the FPR if it is still the original piece (10 to 20 years old). I teed the vacuum guage in at the distributor/FPR line. Is this where everyone is measuring it? Jay '85 Westy

"Scott G. Terry" <sgterry@ENGINEERING.UCSB.EDU> on 08/17/2001 10:18:09 PM

Please respond to "Scott G. Terry" <sgterry@ENGINEERING.UCSB.EDU>

To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM cc: (bcc: Jay L Snyder/AE/DuPont) Subject: do we have a vacuum leak?

Hi Michael, Thanks for responding to my post. I'll be interested to read your results. Please carbon-copy me when you post them to the list. I subscribe in digest-mode and don't always have time to keep up with the traffic. Pearl is fluctuating rapidly between 7-9" vacuum at idle so I think by anybody's standard I do have a leak. Lucky me! I think I can hear a leak but I can't get the engine to race when I hose suspect areas with carb cleaner (not the safest approach, use cat. converter safe brand, etc. etc.). Maybe a worn valve train... maybe I'm just hearing induction noise... this is where experience (which I lack) would really help. So is 10-12 " indicative of a healthy vacuum or a leaky vacuum? I believe the question remains unanswered. My conclusion from my test was manifold vacuum should be 15". Yet no one has stepped up to the plate and said they're getting 15" in their wasserboxer. Matthew Pollard is getting awesome gas mileage in his 1.9L(?) and I think I remember that he brought his fuel pressure into spec with a new FPR, so this would imply his engine has good manifold vacuum. So, Matthew, how about borrowing a vacuum gauge from UI and measuring your manifold vacuum at idle (and maybe 2000 rpm while you're at it)? We would make you second author if we publish the findings in the Journal of Vanagon Vacuum (J. Van. Vac.). First author if you also do some NMR on the head gasket adhesive and solve the riddle of the water leak. Scott Terry '85 Westy "Pearl" Santa Barbara, CA >While attempting to evacuate my AC system, I noticed the MV as 10" to 12" >Hg just as you state. Do you think I have a leak somewhere -- I hadn't >thought that it might should be 15". > >Thanks, >Michael Townsend >90 Carat >Durham NC > >PS. Finally got my R-134a charged this morning -- looking forward to a >cool drive home!