Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 20 Aug 2001 20:03:29 -0700
From:         Michael Snow <mwsnow@HOME.COM>
Subject:      Re: 2 more questions to complete my 1.9l NA install, I hope

<snip> > > Question # 1. To prime the pump, list members say to > fill the oil pump with oil before bolting on the > vanagon diesel pickup and then oil pan. How do you > keep oil in it when it runs right out the pickup tube > into the pan???????? > So, I was not able to keep oil in the pump, but I > should still be able to prime the pump by putting a > drill on the drive shaft via the vacume pump hole, > YES?? >

There is no good reason that I can think of to fill the oil pump prior to attaching the pickup tube and oil pan. If the oil pump pickup tube is undamaged, it should prime just fine by pouring a little oil in from the top (filter mount removed from engine block), bolting on the filter mount, filling the filter at least half full with oil, screwing the filter down, and cranking the engine. I disconnect the fuel solenoid on the pump and crank until the oil pressure warning light on the dash goes out, then reconnect the solenoid and start the engine.

> > > Question #2. My radiator is dead after being backed > out, it just died. I have a mid 82 Vanagon diesel > with a one year only radiator. 068 121 253 A. This > is OEM only and I found 4 at the Parts Place $400. > WoW. > > If I use the 83-84 type, what are the differences, how > much could they have changed it.???? This radiator I > can get for $220. Any help would be great. I have to > have the van running by Saturday, but now I am held up > by the radiator failure. This is the time to replace > it. >

I recently swapped an '83+ radiator into my '82 diesel Westy. There are a bunch of things that need to be changed to use the '83+ radiator in the '82 body. The easiest thing to do is to go to the junkyard and buy the entire radiator setup from a later van. You are after any '83-'85 (1.9 WBX) models with or without A/C or '86+ (2.1 WBX) models without A/C. The later A/C models and Syncros use an incompatible fan motor, relay, and wiring harness.

Parts that are different on the '82 are: radiator, hoses, fan, fan motor, fan shroud, thermoswitch and associated wiring, upper and lower mounts. In short, every part except the steel coolant pipes under the van are different. It is still a worthwhile swap, considering the cost and scarcity of '82 radiators. The lower mounting brackets from the '83+ bolt directly to the '82 body. The most difficult part of the swap is the upper radiator support bracket. Obsessive as I am, I painstakingly drilled out the 16 (or so) spot welds that hold the upper bracket on a later parts van and welded it into my '82. I have also seen simple fabricated brackets that do a fine job.

Mike Snow