Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 21 Aug 2001 11:31:35 -0700
From:         Dan Snow <dieselvanagon@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Help, I dropped my vanagon and I can't get up

For what it's worth (not much), I discovered a neat trick when I moved cross country last time. I was towing a big car (I would be removed from the list if I told you what kind) on a car carrier with the u-haul. Every few minutes, the combination of speed and bumps would start a horrific harmonic swerving phenomenon. I mean scary, like the van swaying from side to side and the trailer fishtailing. By divine intervention, I found that the way to break the harmonic was to let go of the steering wheel. When I tried to fight the harmonic or outsmart it, it would continue or even grow worse. But if I let go or barely touched the wheel, the delayed reaction of the caster of the u-haul's front wheels would somehow kill the harmonic and it would settle down. So I drove from Michigan to Berkeley with a very light touch on the steering wheel. I have no idea if this is what happened here, but if it helps someone someday...

Don't ask me about how I attached a towbar to the rear bumper brackets of my Vanagon, locked the steering straight ahead, and towed it backwards with a borrowed chevy truck through downtown Oakland after midnight. Tires squeeling as I went around corners, no lights. I guess the cops had bigger fish to fry that night.

Daniel Snow PhD Student UC Berkeley

'82 Vanagon Diesel '78 Puch Maxi Luxe Moped '72 Motobecane Mobylette Moped '01 Xootr Scooter