Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 23 Aug 2001 17:22:41 +0200
From:         OOMKES Robin <robin.oomkes@SWIFT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Starter Question

Daryl,

That's exactly how the starter on my 90 Vanagon TD went a couple of months ago. Except I had parked on a ferry ramp, to buy some french fries with mayonnaise (remember Pulp Fiction?) at a roadside snack stand. I put in a junkyard rebuild and it's been going fine ever since.

Robin 90 Vanagon Atlantic TD Holland

Daryl Densford wrote:

> Help! > > Question: Would the starter on a '90 GL just go out all of the sudden, > without any noticeable problems before hand? > > Story: The starter never failed to start my Vanagon until one night I > turned it off while in my local Krispy Kreme drive-thru (to cut down on > noise--exhaust problems, another story!). When I went to start it back up, > I didn't even get a click! I heard the fuel pump prime (?) when I turned > the switch, but nothing else happened. > > I pop-started it to get it home, and crawled under it to find a wire going > to the starter that had blown out from corrosion. Assuming this was the > only problem I took it to my local shop, (non-VW, since it was only a wire > replacement that I couldn't get to), and he repalced the wire, cleaned all > the connecitons, etc., then said that the starter was bad. > > Does this sound right? Would it go out all of the sudden without gradually > indicating a problem coming? > > Thanks for your help!! > > Daryl > Blue '90 GL in NY (still FS!)

-- S.W.I.F.T. s.c.r.l.

This e-mail and any attachments thereto may contain information that is confidential and/or proprietary and is intended for the sole use of the recipient(s) named above. It is not intended to create or affect any contractual arrangements between the parties. If you have received this e-mail by mistake, please notify the sender and delete it immediately. Thank you for your co-operation.