Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 24 Aug 2001 02:42:05 +0100
From:         Mark Drovdahl <mdrovdahl@YAHOO.CO.UK>
Subject:      FS '88 Westy w/2.0 L I-4 Conversion. Project.

The van's for sale b/c I need tuition $ for graduate school this Fall. It's a project b/c of the following.

Since deciding to sell "Rufus" I planned one last road trip, Seattle, WA to Taos, NM. I left Mon. and got as far as Baker City, OR...well, not even quite there. When my alternator light came on, I did like I should and pulled over at the nearest safe place to investigate. Hmmm, both the alternator and water belts are MIA...hmmm, my H20 expansion tank is full. Hmmm, bad signs. I called the tow truck, spent the night in the parking lot of Mel's Auto and got to see the inside of my '98 2.0 L engine the next day. It's toasted. It resembles crumpled, singed tinfoil. One large U-Haul with tow trailer, a couple hundred dollars in expenses ($ I don't have) and three days later I'm back in Seattle with a slight dilema on my hands. The van was to be FS for $10K upon return from said roadtrip. Now, van (w/blown up engine still attached, head detached but included) is FS for $6.5K without delivery. This really hurts. Mostly because I'm losing my dearest friend, but also b/c w/out a buyer I'll have to borrow money (probably $3K) to fix it, just to sell it. If you're capable of the labor (remember the conversion is already done) that $3K could be reduced to the cost of a new-used power plant ($600-$900 from D. Marshall, Campbel Nelson, Etc.) + your time.

Here's the facts for anyone interested: + 1988 Westy w/rear facing 5th seat + Blown 1998 2.0L ABA Jetta motor + <2yr old rebuilt tranny with custom 4th gear (thanks to Daryl at AA Transaxle) + New battery Body = Fair, some scrapes and dents, no rust. Interrior= Good, everything works and is clean, nothing missing, some additions (Towel rack, 5th seat, cd player, speakers, etc.) Engine= Very bad. Trans= Very good.

I'm working on making pics available. I've been off- list for some time, and I apologize for the "dump and run" MO.

Thanks, and have a better week than I : ) Mark Drovdahl mdrovdahl@yahoo.co.uk