Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 24 Aug 2001 07:48:38 -0500
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Eastcoast roadtrip contacts
Comments: To: bob.spooner@MIDDLETOWNPOWER.COM

This portion is my own experience: I bought my Westy from folks that had spent considerable money trying to have it maintained by local shops, even to the point of having a genuine VW of Canada Short Block installed by a VW dealership. I found that they had put some brand of Teflon additive in the oil trying to get it past inspection (after the engine failed on me). The Quickie Oil change shop had been installing 5/30 wt oil in it (had the receipts). I also found that the reason they couldn't pass inspection was that one of the fuel injector ground wires was floating loose near the connector just occasionally making contact and giving you a sudden burst of efficiency. The CV joints were in terrible condition and the fuel filter was literally full of crud. Shortly after buying the Westy the transmission failed because the PO's wife was short legged and used the synchronizers to force the gear changes, she wasn't tall enough to fully depress the clutch without a concentrated effort. Every used car is sold as "Buyer Beware" and with VWs that is doubly true. Your routing assistance is an excellent idea and for myself I'd never make that trip without first performing the simple services I recommended and making a few 100 mile local trips to shake down the vehicle.

Stan Wilder

On Fri, 24 Aug 2001 07:34:13 -0400 "Spooner, Robert E." <bob.spooner@MIDDLETOWNPOWER.COM> writes: > All, > A buddy of mine is flying down to Florida to pick up a Vanagon on > Labor > Day weekend. This is his first Vanagon, and his experience is very > limited. He will be driving this rig from Florida back home to > Connecticut. > > It sounds like it should make it no problem, but you all know how > things > can go. He has some worries about breaking down on the road, being > a > complete newbie. > > If you're in the Rt 95 corridor. And if you will be around Labor > Day > weekend. And would be willing to provide assistance and/or advice > if > things go terribly wrong for this fella. Please email me your name > and > number and I'll pass them along. > > I greatly appreciate the help. > > Bob Spooner > Environmental Engineer > Middletown Generating Station > Middletown, CT

________________________________________________________________ GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO! Juno offers FREE or PREMIUM Internet access for less! Join Juno today! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.