Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 22 Aug 2001 07:26:53 -0700
From:         Shawn Wright <swright@SLS.BC.CA>
Subject:      Reducing brake fade on '88 Westy?

Once again I encountered fairly serious brake fade driving behind some slowpokes coming down various passes on the Crowsnest Hwy. I flushed the system 2 years ago with fresh DOT4 fluid, so I suppose it's time to do this again. But since the van has only gone ~10k km since the last fluid change, I'm not convinced this will help all that much.

I know I do have slightly warped front rotors - could this lead to more heat build-up? I'll need to pull them and either have them turned, or replaced I guess. Cross drilled rotors seem pretty expensive - what other options do I have for improved braking at low cost? Are there specific brands of pads to look for that offer better fade resistance?

Thanks. Shawn Wright, I.T. Manager Shawnigan Lake School swright@SLS.bc.ca http://Zuiko.sls.bc.ca/swright http://www.sls.bc.ca