Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 24 Aug 2001 08:07:52 -0700
From:         Steven Johnson <sjohnso2000@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Eastcoast roadtrip contacts
Comments: To: "Spooner, Robert E." <bob.spooner@MIDDLETOWNPOWER.COM>

I would add to what Stan said that you should closely monitor the coolant level from the moment you first pull away and make your way to the nearest auto parts store or VW and pick up at least 2 gallons of the phosphate free coolant and any pieces parts you think might help alleviate any coolant leaks.

When I purchased the '86 Transporter I drove it home which was about 10 miles from the point of purchase. Flipped open the license plate lid and observed absolutely zero coolant in the overflow reservoir. Imagine if the drive were 50 miles or more with no coolant added.... I was lucky...

Also, I highly recommend a cell phone and AAA plus road service.

I'm sure others have other warnings to add to the never ending "to-do" list for the ever neglected newly purchased used van....

Good Luck,

Steven

--- "Spooner, Robert E." <bob.spooner@MIDDLETOWNPOWER.COM> wrote: > All, > A buddy of mine is flying down to Florida to pick up > a Vanagon on Labor > Day weekend. This is his first Vanagon, and his > experience is very > limited. He will be driving this rig from Florida > back home to > Connecticut. > > It sounds like it should make it no problem, but you > all know how things > can go. He has some worries about breaking down on > the road, being a > complete newbie. > > If you're in the Rt 95 corridor. And if you will be > around Labor Day > weekend. And would be willing to provide assistance > and/or advice if > things go terribly wrong for this fella. Please > email me your name and > number and I'll pass them along. > > I greatly appreciate the help. > > Bob Spooner > Environmental Engineer > Middletown Generating Station > Middletown, CT