Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 24 Aug 2001 08:20:06 -0700
From:         "Michael A. Radtke" <michael.radtke@BULL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Avon Tyres - Vanagon applications

Hello,

This Avon tyre thread caught my attention since I use Avon tyres on my electric microvan. I had a lot of difficulty getting 10 inch radial truck tyres (high load capacity for all those batteries). The Avon tyres that I ended up with are really nice and weren't too expensive if you don't count having them shipped from the UK. Which brings me to my point.

It turns out that Cooper Tire (US based) bought Avon. So, when I discovered that the Avon tyre was ideal for my application, I went to Cooper. Unfortunately, they were not friendly at all and weren't in the least bit interested in selling me tyres. They said to call Avon in the UK. When I tried that, the Avon folks said that the closest place for me to buy the tyres that I needed would be a UK based tyre retailer. This is what I ended up doing.

All this happened almost a year ago. So, because of this thread, I visited Cooper Tire on the web and see that things have improved. They now have a good selection of Avon tyres on their site. You can't find a Vanagon tyre using their search, but the Avon AV4 185R14C looks exactly right for my '84. Whether you can really buy one from a US tire dealer is another matter though.

For me, the really sad news is there don't seem to be any more 145R10 truck tyres.

Mike Radtke -- Phoenix, AZ

'84 GL '79 Jet ElectraVan '58 Isetta