Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 26 Aug 2001 13:34:34 -0700
From:         Coby Smolens <cobys5@HOME.COM>
Subject:      Re: clutch shudder
Comments: To: TinkerMan <tinkerman007@YAHOO.COM>

Hey, T-Man -

Your assessment is probably correct, but there are a couple other possibilities - all of which require removal of the tranny...

Your idea - flywheel: If there was no shudder before the new clutch, then it's very likely the surface of the flywheel slipping and catching the disk that is the source of the annoyance. I think this happens when the surface area of the disk doesn't contact the flywheel across it's entire face because the flywheel has "eroded" to conform to irregularities in the wear of the old disk. This surface should definitely be checked for true in the course of the job, and it's a given (barring miracles) that it'll need to be resurfaced when the clutch is replaced after a normal service life (100,000+ miles). If you were not crying "poor" when you went in to have the job done - in other words, gave instructions to do the absolute minimum to get you on the road again for as little as possible, then this should have been done. If not included in the original estimate, you should have been informed of the extra expense. We include it in the original estimate.

Pilot Bearing: Also included in our estimate - it comes in the clutch kit from Sachs - we always change it. With the flywheel off (no other way to do it) it takes an extra three minutes (OK, maybe five) to pop out the old one and tap in the new one if you have the puller for it, including time to clean out the hole in the crankshaft and add grease to the new bearing (comes greased, but not adequately). If this was the original pilot bearing it certainly should be replaced.

Other possibilities: A bad pressure plate (unlikely but it's not impossible for a new part to be faulty). Unevenly worn fingers on the release shaft will cause one side of the release bearing to release sooner than the other, creating the same kind of slip-and-catch symptom caused by an unevenly worn flywheel. The only way to check or fix this is to pull the tranny. This is a dealer part and should be replaced on an as needed basis, along with all the bushings and sleeves that go with it. Because of these "extra" items, and the additional time to replace them, a complete clutch job can be a $800 proposition (not including hydraulics) done in a shop in a high rent district...

Good luck - If the folks are reasonable, they'll probably do the thing again. It might be acceptable for them to charge you for removing and installing flywheel, seal and o-ring, & pilot bearing, since their price would have possibly have been higher if they had done these things in the beginning. They should absorb the tranny R&R, though.

4.5 hours is reasonable time to allow for a complete clutch job, including everything listed above (hydraulics, add an extra 45 minutes to replace and bleed master and slave cylinders if the tranny's out of the car anyway). Flywheel resurfacing depends on the machine shop - from our local machinist it's $60 (we're in one of the aforementioned high-rent districts).

Hello Volks,

I've just had my clutch replaced due to clutch slip. I've been disappointed to find that now the clutch shudders quite a bit when released as I used to (my previous clutch lastde over 6 years, which means I must know how to keep it alive...). The shudder seems to be more serious when the motor is warm. My solution is to raise the revs a bit and release the clutch slowly. Clearly, this isn't a solution. Obviously, the reason seems to be that the dealer didn't have the flywheel resurfaced. 1. Any ideas from some smart/experienced dudes on the list? Am I right in my conclusion? 2. If the above is true, then is it reasonable I demand they do it as part of the clutch replacement procedure and not charge me again for dismantling and installing again? 3. At the time, I asked them to replace the pilot bearing, as recommended by several list members (a cheap part compared to the clutch replacement cost), but they said there was no need to (funny. The tranny has done 170K Km. It seems unwise not to replace it at the same time). I've heard a faulty pilot bearing could lead to serious failures in the gear. True? Should I demand it be done now, on the same occasion?

===== Cheers, TinkerMan