Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 26 Aug 2001 17:25:22 -0700
From:         Tom Moritz <tmoritz@BMI.NET>
Subject:      Re: searching archive

Patrick,

The easiest way to search the archives is via e-mail. It is a two step process, first requesting all postings containing a particular word or words, and second requesting archived posts by post number as returned by the search.

Okay, to do a search send an e-mail to listserv@gerry.vanagon.com. Note this is a different address than what is used for the vanagon list. There is no need for a subject and in the body type the following:

search vanagon "search string"

Replace "search string" with the words or words you are looking for. One thing to note is the search engine is primitive and will only return postings which contain all the words you ask for. You might be able to use a logical connector like "and" or "or" but I haven't tried anything like that yet. Say you wanted to find something on vented rotors. Well this might be under vented rotors or vented brakes. I would send an e-mail with two lines in the body as follows:

search vanagon vented rotors search vanagon vented brakes

You could just search on vented and if that turns up too many hits then try limiting the search by adding the words rotors and/or brakes.

Sometimes you will get a lot of hits based on your search criteria. When I say a lot I mean more than 100. In this case the listserver will return only the first 100. If you want to get the rest then you will need to use the "since" option of the search command. This option is simply appended on the end of your request. Let's say hit number 100 was dated 98/10/17 (I think this is the date formate used by the list server for October 17, 1998) you would send another search request as follows:

search vanagon vented rotors since 98/10/17

Or if you only wanted to search all the posts made in the last year you can submit:

search vanagon vented rotors since today-365

All this information is available from the listserver. Just send an e-mail to the listserver with the following in the body:

info refcard

and you will probably find out more than you really want to know.

Regards,

Tom Moritz