Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 27 Aug 2001 11:19:26 -0700
From:         Shawn Wright <swright@SLS.BC.CA>
Subject:      Re: '82 Westy Diesel Intro + Injector / Timing Belt / General
              Questions

On 27 Aug 2001 at 12:08, John Mileham wrote:

<snip>

> Anyway, when I popped the lid to look at the engine while it was > running, I noticed one severely leaking injector (diesel was bubbling out > of there, w/ a pool below it), and one injector w/ a minor leak. (wet, > but nothing running.) I seem to recall there's a heat shield between the > injector and the head, and so I got to wondering if the mechanic cut a > corner here. (Then, I got to wondering if he cut a corner on the timing > belt too, since it wasn't broke, it'd just slipped.....) But I'm trying > not to go the latter route in my mind.... > > ***Are the belts obviously "new" if I were to remove the timing belt > shield? Is it a major PITA in the back of a Westy to do so?***

A new belt should have a minimum amount of wear on the smooth side from the tensioner, if it looks worn, then it may be the old one. Not sure how difficult the cover removal is on a Westy.

> ***What about the leaking injectors? Big deal, not - sign of something > else? Anyt ideas? Anybody know a cheap source of new or rebuilt > injectors?***

Were they leaking at the fuel pipe connector, or at the injector/head connection? If it's the fuel pipes, just tighten them up & you're off. If the injectors, I'd check the torque & if it is ok and still leaks, then replace the heat shields. It's *possible* the head is cracked at the injectors, but certainly shouldn't be with a new head... You'll need a very deep socket to remove the injectors, not sure of the size - 22-24mm I think. Others can probably fill you in more.

> ***Any other words of wisdom before I point the westy north in two weeks? > I was thinking about taking a couple of injectors along, although I'm not > sure they're even available anymore.*** (AAA+, cell phone, etc. - covered!)

I've seen them at several places, including busdepot.com

> ***Anything else peculiar to the diesel westy I should look out for?***

Just watch the temperature gauge & coolant level - overheating is the main cause of head/gasket failure.

Good luck, sounds like a nice find.

Shawn '88 Westy 2.1 (365,000km, looking for a 1.9TD to swap with...)======================== Shawn Wright Computer Systems Manager Shawnigan Lake School http://www.sls.bc.ca swright@sls.bc.ca