Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 27 Aug 2001 11:33:15 -0700
From:         Alex Justice <tesla5man@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Initial tappet adjustment/valves

Howdy, I seem to remember reading some threads on this issue, but I'm having a slow time pulling up the archives for some reason so here goes:

A month or so ago I replaced the heads on my '86 van. When I put the rocker arm assembly back on, I didn't adjust the screws over each valve. The van ran fine for several hundred miles...and quietly, too. No clackity sounds. I was worried that I should go in and adjust them after reading about people turning the rocker arm adjuster screws only one turn (after light contact with the valve) instead of the two turns it suggests in the Bentley handbook. So I did.

I set the crankshaft at TDC for cyl #1 and adjusted the screws over those valves (turning the screw 1 full turn after it made light contact with the valve). I rotated (clockwise) the crankshaft 180 degrees, then did cyl #4.

Here is the bulk of my question: after slackening the outside nut, the pushrod would push the rocker arm as I loosened the screw over the valve to the point that the screw never cleared the valve until the 'screw side' of the rocker arm was actually in contact with the top of the valve. Is this how it's supposed to work? I wasn't sure.

Of course, turning the screw in one full turn after it does make light contact with the valve puts the right parts in contact with each other...but it just didn't look right having the screws on the rocker arm at different heights.

I finished the job and (bravely/idiotically...it's a fine line) drove the van around town. It sure is loud, but the Haynes manual said it would be and not to worry about it too much.

The thing is, it was quiet before and now it's not.

Any comments, suggestions, reprimands?

Thanks, AJ