Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 27 Aug 2001 12:54:39 -0700
From:         Joseph Fortino <fortino1@ONEBOX.COM>
Subject:      Re: Surfboards and other near disasters
Comments: To: Max Wellhouse <maxjoyce@IPA.NET>

speaking of nutty stuff, last Friday some smart dude was carring a complete garage door ontop of his small pickup truck in the fast lane.. I moved out of the way.. Lost a good friend, when a truck lost some of his load.. It came threw his front window killing him, all the time his 5 year was in the seat next to him.

-- Joseph Fortino fortino1@onebox.com - email (510) 360 -7829 voicemail/fax

---- Max Wellhouse <maxjoyce@IPA.NET> wrote: > That kid better thank God those boards didn't go through your windshield > and > kill you!(come to think of it, maybe a word of thanks may be on your > to-do > list as well). > > Having seen and heard my share of horror stories of kayaks and canoes > blowing off the top of vehicles(kayaks make excellent projectiles and > they > don't flutter in the wind like surfboards, they tend to bounce on the > ground > once and then fly up into the radiator/windshield area). > > Liability normally rests with the driver of the vehicle, regardless > of who > tied the stuff on top of thevan or who owns the projectile. That's > where > those umbrella policies really start to become a value for the dollar > spent. > > DM&FS > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Kitzmann" <kitzmann@EXIS.NET> > To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > Sent: Monday, August 27, 2001 12:34 PM > Subject: Surfboards and other near disasters > > > > A friend of mine and I went to the Outer Banks to go surfing over > the > > weekend in my 82. Everything was fine until we were coming into > Buxton, > > near Cape Hatteras Lighthouse, when suddenly two shortboards came > off a > > little red Honda in the oncoming lane. They twirled in the air and > moved > > into our lane due to the wind. Since they were at about eye level > I > > swerved to the left. The two surfboards then suddenly dove down > to the > > ground and wack, wack, I ran straight over one with my left tires. > I > > Swerved back into my lane and pulled over to inspect the van as soon > as I > > could. Good news, the van handles emergency manuevers wonderfully, > the > > only damage some wax on both left wheels and a small tear in one > of the > mud > > flaps. Bad news, some teenager had two new 2.5 ft surfboards for > only > > $450 and some stupidity. Word to the wise make sure those straps > are on > > before driving off with something on your roof. > > > > Dave K. >

__________________________________________________ FREE voicemail, email, and fax...all in one place. Sign Up Now! http://www.onebox.com