Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 28 Aug 2001 11:42:00 -0600
From:         John Silverman <jsilver@AROS.NET>
Subject:      engine woes and choices--need esperienced advice
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com, syncro@yahoogroups.com

Vic, our 90 syncro westy w/ 92k, has a failing engine. Head gaskets replaced last year, but now compression is poor (#1 100, w/ 8% leakdown, #2 130/13%, #3 87/32%, #4 120/12%). I've entertained thoughts of a Subaru conversion (oh how I lust after the 3.3, but don't want to spent the 10-12 k to obtain it), and I4 conversion, a replacement engine (either from VW-whose local dealers say all they can get is factory rebuilds- or Boston Bob), a rebuild locally (there are multiple shops that have lots of experience). If I go w/ the stock engine (2.1), I've considered upgrading a la Lilley-w/ "blueprinting", counterbalancing, chips/rockers and/or other upgrades to boost power up hills and against the wind. Boston Bob offers several options (Stages) to upgrade power as well.

I'm looking to minimize expense, yet maximize performance and reliability. I'm not a mechanic, so all work must be done by a shop. I also am fearful of getting a hybrid that performs well 'til it breaks down in BFE w/ no mechanics around to work on such a beast. (A hybrid mechanic will be even harder to find than a vanagon mechanic). Most rebuilds around here (SLC) are quoted at about 3-4500 $. The dealers engines run about 2500 plus installation, another 1-2000. The best price I've had quoted is a local shop who'll replace w/ a GEX engine for about 2800, more or less. I'm leery of GEX engines, from other posts on the list. This guy says he's worked w/ them quite a bit, and gets the cream of their crop, so to speak. He claims quite good luck w/ their products, but I'm still leery.

There's one local shop that has done 3 subaru conversions, and he has several brand new, unused, '94 2.2 long blocks in stock (he bought them years ago for ultralights and hasn't used them). But, he needs a parts car for all except the engine, AND, he's not sure he wants to do any more conversions. He quoted me 6-7000 for the entire conversion (including his engine) IF he decides to do it.

So...I'm looking for advice, opinions (preferably backed by experience) thoughts......I think I'm leaning to the local rebuild w/ upgrades as the best way o increase performance and reliability while minimizing expense.

Thanks John SLC 90 syncro westy