Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 22 Aug 2001 14:14:46 -0800
From:         "Standley, Craig" <standlc@DATA-IO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Reducing brake fade on '88 Westy?

Unless you are on a race track, brake fade is mostly from the pads heating up. On the track, the brake fluid can boil too, but that's unlikely in normal driving. So I'd look at the pads first.

They might be glazed, or the rotor might be glazed. Cross drilled rotors are a gimmick that do no good on 99% of the cars you see them on. They weaken the rotor too since the holes are drilled into the rotors. This is a great place for cracks to form. The cross drilled rotors you see on Porsches and Ferraris are actually cast that way, and are different than the ones you can go out and get at Shucks. Save your money and get plain rotors.

Get the best pads you can afford too, and get them with the highest heat tolerance if that's an option. Heat in the pad is what is causing the fade.

When you are driving, let off the brake for a while in an effort to get them to cool down. You probably do this anyways but I figured I'd mention it.

I drive my Mustang on the track pretty regularly and deal with brake fade quite a bit there. We fix the problem with better pads, better rotors (though this mostly to prevent warping), high temp brake fluid and ducting. Ducting might be an option too, if you are on mountain roads a lot and this becomes an issue frequently. I haven't examined the Vanagon brakes too closely but if you do ducting you'll probably have to remove the dust shields for it to work. Ducting may be extreme, but so is losing your brakes on a mountain road so you might want to think about it.

-Craig