Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 24 Aug 2001 19:03:17 EDT
From:         Ken Hunter <EVEHART33@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Extra fans DO improve cooling!

I think Brian meant to post a copy to the list but it didn't make it so here's the copy. Just the info I was looking for (and more if you check out Derek Drew's article on Reefer Madness). Thanks Brian. Ken Hunter <<<<<Hi Ken and Listers, <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I have just recently, this month, installed two fans to the refrigerator circuit. One inside and one additional at the rear of the unit. My information was gathered from the following informative site.

http://vanagon.com/info/articles/Refrigerator/Reefer_Madness.htm

Thanks to Derek Drew for the articles and all the leg work.

I also installed the two reading thermometer that is mentioned. One probe situated in free air at the top of the fridge. The second ambient van temps. Here are the results, taken a couple of weeks ago when it was really hot.

120 volt system. Ambient in van. . Fridge 95 45.8 88 39 The thermometer registers the min. and max. temp. also. As follows. Min. 75. 24.1 Following day. 96. 32.3 10AM. 99. 43.2 4.30 PM 91. 40.6. 8.30 PM 85. 31. 10.00 PM The Max for the day was103. Min. 70. [overnight.] 24.0

I did the trial last night, again, on 120volt. 86 30. 11. AM 81 30 1.00 PM. The day is overcast, no direct sun on the van. These figures would increase if the sun was beating down on the left side panel, I'm sure.

The propane figures were close, unfortunately I didn't record them. Having the thermometer makes you more obsessive with the temp in the fridge. I did a test today. Had the door open for 10 seconds and it increased the temp. by 8 degrees. So if you want any thing out of the unit do it PDQ. All the above figures are with an EMPTY fridge.

Here are Radio Shack parts numbers that I used. 273-240 Micro Fan, 1- 9/16" square. 5.3 cfm. Fitted above the cooling fins inside. 273-243B Cooling Fan 3" Airflow 26cfm Rated at 0.08A and 0.16A. Note. Radio Shack offer more options for fans on their web site. Cheaper too. Mine are from their stores.. Not all on the web site are available at their stores

The rear fan was connected to the load side of the heatswitch then controlled by it's own switch, which I mounted on the fascia panel of the fridge inside. This gives me the oportunity to switch off the additional fan at night, if I wish. The inside fan is controlled by a second switch again mounted on it's fascia panel. Nothing is visible from the outside. The noise level is minimal. Though I haven't spent over night. On removal of the unit, I increased the insulation at the rear of the fridge. Foil covered insulation from Ace.Hard.

Prices aprox, Fan 1 $15 Fan 2 $15 2 micro-switches. $5.00 Thermometer. $20.00.

Well worth the effort in my view.

Brian Kelly.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 86 Westfalia.