Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2001, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 29 Aug 2001 22:59:34 -0300
From:         Jean-Guy Savoie <jgsavoie@NBNET.NB.CA>
Subject:      Transmission whinning - whirring

Hello again Volks,

I just returned from a 4200 km trip and had a wonderful time.

Not long after I left, I was told that a sound, "like a hairdrier" was coming from the engine. I couldn't hear it driving. About 3000 kms later, I could hear the transmission whirring or whinning and that has been getting a louder over the last 1200 kms such that it is now quite noticable.

This is a 4 speed manual 091 transmission in an 84 wasserboxer.

The whirring or whinning seems to start only in 2nd gear, getting considerably louder in 3rd and still a bit louder in 4th gear. Seems to whine more on acceleration and less on deceleration. It is not speed dependent (present no matter the speed, while in noisy gear) except pitch varies, of course, with rpm. It does go away if coasting in neutral.

While typing this I finally was able to break into the archives search function and have found quite a few old posts about the diagnosis, but I still ask the experts: Any ideas?

What seems to be lacking in the archives was advice as to the feasability of transmission work for the "mechanically gifted", but "specialty tool poor" Bently owning back yard mechanic. I am not afraid of a challenge: I once tore appart a 4 cylinder motorcycle engine , quad carburators and transmission and very successfully reassembled. But should I tackle a Vanagon tranny?

TIA

JGS

84 1.9L Westfalia Bleu Schtroumpf